1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to read mp3 player or camera from pc

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by marandi73, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marandi73

marandi73 Thread Starter

Hi, I have a problem and I hope you can help me figure it out. All of a sudden I can't drag and drop songs from my pc to my mp3 player (regular panasonic mp3 player) I can do it if I use windows media player but if I try to do it manally like I used to, I can't. The same with my digital camera. If I connect my camera to the pc using the usb cable I wont be able to read or write or do anything. I will have to take the sd card out of the camera and stick it into the computer to actually manage the pictures. I've tried everything, from uninstalling the usb controllers to connect the mp3 player to all my usb ports and nothing works. If iI try to drag an mp3 file from the hard drive to the mp3 player I'll get this message: "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected" And if I try to drag a file from the mp3 player to the hard drive nothing will happen, I'm able to see all the files in the mp3 player but wont be able to copy them, yet, I can delete them... Anybody??? Thanks in advance

2. diablo75

diablo75

Try having the device plugged into the PC before you start it up. You could also try to remove the device (and your USB ports/controlers) via the Device Manager, and then reboot and let everything be detected and reinstalled automatically.

Another option (sort of a last resort) is to attempt to format the drive (on the mp3 player), which may require special software from the manufacture of the player.

As a rule of thumb, you should make sure you stop these devices using the removable device monitor that will appear in the lower right corner by the clock when you have a device attached. This is to ensure that any data transfer to/from the devices is properly ended before removing the device from the PC. If you were copying a file over to the MP3 player, for instance, and just suddenly disconnected your USB cable, it could cause problems.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!