1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to read SD card

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by maggie88ca, Dec 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maggie88ca

maggie88ca Thread Starter

When I put my camera's SD memory card into the card reader slot on my computer it no longer reads it.

I have an Acer desktop computer with Vista OS. It's not the memory card cuz I can read it on my wife's laptop. I can read the card when its in the camera and camera is hooked up to desktop via USB cable. Everything I google says to check the device manager but when I do that it does not even show the slots for the card.

Thanks in advance.

2. rosiesdad

rosiesdad

I had the same issue, turned out the card reader does NOT have drivers for Vista, just XP.
    I bought a newer card reader and all is good.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

What changes have been made to your machine? Have you changes drivers, run any "tools" that supposedly fix problems, or made any major installations or uninstallations lately? Run any "cleaning" tools?

4. maggie88ca

No real changes that I can think of just the usual weekly Norton scans.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is the card reader built into the machine? How many slots? Do they have drive letters assigned to them that show up in Computer along with other drives?

When you say "Norton scans", do you mean anti-virus scans or scans including other things, like Doctor or similar?

For a workaround, get a USB card reader. I've seen them as cheap as $1.

6. maggie88ca

Thanks for the reply Elvandil.
    It is built into the machine and there are 5 slots but none of them show up in Computer like they used to.
    Ya just the regular A/V and malware scans that I usually perform.
    I would rather not just buy a USB card reader its not the cost its more the principal of it, just hate to admit that something doesn't work properly on my computer.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is anything at all having problems in Device Manager? Anything listed under "Other"?

8. maggie88ca

There doesn't appear to be any problems in device manager and there is no 'other' section.

Attached Files:

9. Firebreather

Firebreather

Have you tried using a card reader to read the SD cards?

10. maggie88ca

I can use another card reader but I would rather fix the one that is built into my computer.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!