1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to reinstall XP on reformatted drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by pm90254, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pm90254

pm90254 Thread Starter

XP was corrupted to the point that a repair install was unsuccessful. Using information posted on this site, I reformatted NTFS and booted to the CD. The drivers loaded and everything went fine until I got a notice that setup could not read the CD or the XP disc was not valid. I ran it on another computer and it was read just fine.

It is a valid retail, Academic Edition, of XP Pro SP1. It was used once to load Windows when I built the system three years ago and there have been no hardware changes since then. It was used again for the Repair Reinstall last week. The disc is clean and scratch free. I ran Memtest86+ for three passes and found no errors.

I’m stumped. I hope someone can help

Thank you.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

How did you format the drive?

3. tecknomage

tecknomage

At first glance, sounds like your CD drive is having problems. Suggest you buy a new one.

Better suggestion (if you can afford one), get a DVD-RW DL Recorder (DL = Dual Layer). They are much better and can store appx 9.4gb of data, and have updated data read correction methods.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Another possibility is a dirty lens on the CD-ROM. Try another or use a commercial cleaner.

Erasing the drive before attempting installation will insure that nothing on the drive interferes with the process.

Darik's Boot and Nuke
    Eraser

5. pm90254

pm90254 Thread Starter

In Recovery Console:

c:map

c:format /fs:ntfs

6. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Go to this site
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

Make yourself a bootdisk and use it to format the drive first FAT-32 none of this going thru the recovery console.

Then use the install disk for your windows and go thru the NTFS format when installing the system.

7. Old Rich

Old Rich

. . Or, just boot from the XP installation disc . . Delete all partitions and set new one(s) up to install XP on . .

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

One other thing you might want to look at this is an acedemic edition that is only sold thru schools like colleges or universities. There might be something on the disk that embeds some info on a part of the hard drive that only can be seen by the installation program and this might make the disk invalid.

9. pm90254

pm90254 Thread Starter

Thanks. I've learned a lot here.

I'll try the Fat32 format.

Pat

10. pm90254

pm90254 Thread Starter

That's what I'm afraid of. I'm hoping that someone here knows if this is the case. I think I searched the MS site without luck, but I'll try it again.

Thanks!

Pat

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

The ( few ) Acedemic versions I have installed work exactly like a regular install disc . . just costs a lot less. . . the key is deleteing all the partitions so there is nothing left to intefer with the installation

12. pm90254

pm90254 Thread Starter

OK. I'm wiping the c: drive now with Boot 'n Nuke. Will that help?

I did disconnect the other hard drives. (y) :D

Pat

13. bearone2

bearone2 Banned

DO WHAT'S BEEN RECOMMENDED AND JUST use the xp cd to remove/create partitions, format quick ntfs and the install starts.

YOU'RE TRYING TO REINVENT THE WHEEL. THIS AIN'T 95 OR 98 WHERE YOU FDISK/FORMAT 1ST.

14. pm90254

pm90254 Thread Starter

I'd love to, Bear, but I can't get there. The CD is the problem.

Why would I reinvent what I invented originally? :D

I am following the above instructions, now.

Thanks.

Pat

15. Old Rich

Old Rich

What happens when you boot from the Install CD? . . do you get the "Press any key to boot from CD" prompt" . . If you have more than one optical drive, try it in the other one

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!