1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to Remote Desktop between two home networks

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tonyaldr, Oct 21, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. tonyaldr

tonyaldr Thread Starter

Hi. I have been trying to set up a native remote desktop access between two different household networks and am completely stuck. The computer I want to remote desktop to is a Windows 7 Professional which I can RDC to within it's own home network flawlessly from another windows client. I set it up with a static IP and forwarded port 3389 on the router to that IP and determined the external network IP. Now theoretically when I open the RDC client window on the other remote household network and punch in that external IP, it should connect but it doesn't. Instead I get the usual "Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer......" message.

Any ideas where I can troubleshoot further? I prefer native Remote Desktop to any of the other remote software packages.

Thx!

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Make sure you can ping the computer first.

3. tonyaldr

tonyaldr Thread Starter

Do you mean ping the other network from the one I'm using as the client?

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Right, you want to make sure you can communicate to the targeting machine, otherwise RDP will surely not work.

5. zx10guy

zx10guy Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Are you trying to access the other home network over the Internet? If so, I have to warn you that you're creating a major security issue by exposing RDP directly to the Internet.

Triple6 likes this.
  6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Whoops.. did not have my coffee yet.. I assumed it's in one building...

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1234549

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice