1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to remove fragmented Norton files, have tried Norton removal tools

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Killjoydad, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Killjoydad

Killjoydad Thread Starter

I have removed (uninstalled) Norton 360 and use Bit Defender now as my antivirus. I have used Norton exclusively in the past and have had numerous issues with them mainly speed and crashing issues. When I try to defrag now with windows disk defrag I get this result:

Volume (C:)
    Volume size = 69.83 GB
    Cluster size = 4 KB
    Used space = 43.20 GB
    Free space = 26.64 GB
    Percent free space = 38 %
    Volume fragmentation
    Total fragmentation = 18 %
    File fragmentation = 37 %
    Free space fragmentation = 0 %
    File fragmentation
    Total files = 113,880
    Average file size = 633 KB
    Total fragmented files = 7
    Total excess fragments = 7,663
    Average fragments per file = 1.06
    Pagefile fragmentation
    Pagefile size = 876 MB
    Total fragments = 2
    Folder fragmentation
    Total folders = 11,232
    Fragmented folders = 1
    Excess folder fragments = 0
    Master File Table (MFT) fragmentation
    Total MFT size = 153 MB
    MFT record count = 127,703
    Percent MFT in use = 81 %
    Total MFT fragments = 3
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Fragments File Size Files that cannot be defragmented
    7,636 18.11 GB \RECYCLER\NPROTECT\00158776.

I have tried to remove Norton using uninstall programs by Norton and by physically searching for files on my computer but never seem to get a hold of the offending files.

Please help.

2. kbjester

kbjester

Revo uninstaller works pretty good for getting rid of remnants left over. You may have to reinstall norton to get rid of it. If you delete norton using add/remove the uninstaller from norton does not clean up leftovers. I had to reinstall win xp on a toshiba laptop to get back the recycle bin after yanking norton.

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

I use jv16, the very first screen for that but please use no other portion of this or any other reg cleaner. The first screen shows you the entries for all programs in the registry and allows removal of individual entries.
    www.jv16.org

4. Killjoydad

Thanks for the info about Revo uninstaller. I have used it to get rid of alot of junk left on my computer including a multitude of Norton files. Howerve as I said before about the other things I have tried it did not touch the fragmented files. After removing all the files it found I did another defrag and exactly the same amount remain. I haven't a clue on how to procede further.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

What happened when you tried jv16?

6. Killjoydad

Sorry I have not tried that yet, I've been busy removing alot of clutter from older programs removed some time ago. Just curious, isn't jv16 a registry cleaner? I use a program called Regitsry easy which seems to work very well. Woul'd it really be possible to have 18+ Gb of missed fragmented registry missed?

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Yes it is but actually, we do not recommend the use of reg cleaners as a general rule and I was only suggesting the use of one screen to pull out and remaining entries from Norton uininstall. If you have used a reg cleaner regularly, we probably really cannot help you as the damage those things do can seldom be undone.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!