1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to Remove McFee Winsock Filter

Discussion in 'Networking' started by fkarpf, Sep 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fkarpf

fkarpf Thread Starter

Prior to recently installing McFee Virus Scan Professional 7.0, I was able to use chat software and EASILY access my home computer via Remote Desktop Connection.

After installing the above, I learned that it AUTOMATICALLY installed a firewall program, as well. Immediately thereafter I was unable to use some chat software and Remote Desktop Connection. I am also unable to PING my home computer. I HAVE been able to access my home computer from other desktops.

I have removed both the virus scan and firewall, and have removed all references to McFee from the registry. However, I am STILL unable to use Remote Desktop Connection.

I have removed the NIC from the Device Manager and seperately removed Dial UP Networking and reinstalling both. Upon doing so, I received the following pop-up message:

"The McAfee Winsock Filter detected that your Windows Sockets protocols were changed or upgraded. The Winsock Filter was reconfigured for these changes. However, you may need to restart your computer in order to access your network or Internet connection."

Apparently, the McAfee software was NOT uninstalled. I have no idea how (other than reinstalling my OS) to clear this from my system. I have been unable to find any information about this problem on the McFee site.

Any help would be apprecaited.

Fred

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

3. fkarpf

fkarpf Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'd already done that. Forgot to mention that in my post.

:)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167556

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice