Unable to Reset PC (partition nightmare)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

KwamRedd

Hi, I have an Asus N series laptop with windows 8.1 installed that I bought in 2013. A while back I partitioned the drive for gaming but believe I corrupted some files that are essential to windows. So my plan was to factory reset back to original image. After backing up my files, I started the reset only to be met with the unable to reset pc, required partition missing. Now I've been troubleshooting this for weeks, not the greatest tech guy alive but, I did a list of fixes.
1) I set all partition as actives.
2) Used sfc scan command to find corrupted files unfortunately windows was unable to fix.
3) Used Dism to cheak image health and try recover, met by another error.
4) Tried booting from a usb drive
5) Used third party software to recover lost files

Really lost at this point.... I have nothing on the computer I want to save and would love any solution to complete wipe this machine and start fresh!!

Thanks

markcovalt

Mark
If the "Restore Partition has been deleted, the only way to get that back is if you know somebody with that exact same model PC.

Otherwise, you can wipe the disk and install another OS.

GPartEd is a great Linux tool for this purpose.

You can download it for free and burn the ISO to a Cd or USB drive.

It's a Live CD, so after it boots, you can completely wipe out everything on the HDD and reformat and set whatever partitions you like.

If you're going to reinstall Windows from a disc, it works best if your PC's primary drive is completely empty. (No partitions at all.)

KwamRedd

Yea that's what I would like to do is wipe the disc and install Windows 8.1 from a USB with and ISO file

KwamRedd

If the "Restore Partition has been deleted, the only way to get that back is if you know somebody with that exact same model PC.

Otherwise, you can wipe the disk and install another OS.

GPartEd is a great Linux tool for this purpose.

You can download it for free and burn the ISO to a Cd or USB drive.

It's a Live CD, so after it boots, you can completely wipe out everything on the HDD and reformat and set whatever partitions you like.

If you're going to reinstall Windows from a disc, it works best if your PC's primary drive is completely empty. (No partitions at all.)
Yea that's what I would like to do is wipe the disc and install Windows 8.1 from a USB with and ISO file it's proving difficult however

TerryNet

Terry
I do not know if the resize caused the Recovery partition to be unusable. I assume that you have tried unsuccessfully to boot to the Recovery partition, and that you did not create a set of Recovery DVDs or USB flash drive.

You are pretty much left with Mark's advice. I would use GpartED, but you can probably skip that and just use your bootable Windows installation DVD or flash drive to delete all the partitions.

KwamRedd

I do not know if the resize caused the Recovery partition to be unusable. I assume that you have tried unsuccessfully to boot to the Recovery partition, and that you did not create a set of Recovery DVDs or USB flash drive.

You are pretty much left with Mark's advice. I would use GpartED, but you can probably skip that and just use your bootable Windows installation DVD or flash drive to delete all the partitions.
Yes I was thinking of deleting all the partitions but just feared I would lose boot files.? As I have been having trouble booting from a flash drive. I tried formatting the drive with OS but it wouldn't let me.

TerryNet

Terry
but just feared I would lose boot files.?
Well, if there are any boot files it sure sounds like they are doing you no good! Installation of an OS includes installing the needed boot files in the right place in order for the OS to be booted.

As I have been having trouble booting from a flash drive.
Windows 8.1 preinstalled on a new computer means that you have UEFI firmware. How sure are you that you have the right combination of how the bootable flash drive was created, secure boot on or off, and legacy boot? If you are right now saying to yourself "Huh?" :) then look for the UEFI settings to turn secure boot off and/or enable legacy boot. I've been confused and had to try several ways the few times I've done this, so will not even try to give more explicit instructions. Or you could try to recreate the flash drive for secure boot.

I tried formatting the drive with OS but it wouldn't let me.
Technically you cannot format a drive (unless its entirety is exactly one partition), so make sure you are trying to format a partition (not unallocated space).

KwamRedd

Well, if there are any boot files it sure sounds like they are doing you no good! Installation of an OS includes installing the needed boot files in the right place in order for the OS to be booted.

Windows 8.1 preinstalled on a new computer means that you have UEFI firmware. How sure are you that you have the right combination of how the bootable flash drive was created, secure boot on or off, and legacy boot? If you are right now saying to yourself "Huh?" :) then look for the UEFI settings to turn secure boot off and/or enable legacy boot. I've been confused and had to try several ways the few times I've done this, so will not even try to give more explicit instructions. Or you could try to recreate the flash drive for secure boot.

Technically you cannot format a drive (unless its entirety is exactly one partition), so make sure you are trying to format a partition (not unallocated space).
Yes indeed the boot files aren't doing their job. I have downloaded a copy of windows 8.1 ISO to a bootable USB, have already been in UEFI settings and changed to legacy mode. I tried booting from the drive before. It works to a degree but when I go back to windows nothing is changed all my files are still there. I want this thing wipe completely. Shoot I delete all partitions before booting from USB?

TerryNet

Terry
It works to a degree but when I go back to windows nothing is changed all my files are still there.
I don't understand. The installation works, but other partitions are still there? Or in the new installation there is a Windows.old file with the old stuff?

KwamRedd

I don't understand. The installation works, but other partitions are still there? Or in the new installation there is a Windows.old file with the old stuff?
Yea I don't understand either I changed the boot priority to the USB. It starts asks me for language/ region then just says proceed to windows 8.

managed

Allan
Since it looks like you can still use Windows why do you want to change anything ?

Try to give the last partition a drive letter and show us what is on it if possible.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online