1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to restore to Factory setting on Dell Inspiron 1545

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by gimire, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gimire

gimire Thread Starter

OK my friend has a Dell Inspiron 1545. His computer won't boot up completely. he wants me to restore it only he doesn't have the disk and when i hit F8 i got to (Advanced Boot Options) Screen then I hit the (Repair Your Computer) option. this is supposed to take you to the Restore Dell To Factory Options. Only it takes you to (Windows Error Recovery) Screen instead and the only to options are (Launch Startup Repair (recommended)) and (Start Windows Normally). L.S.R does nothing but go to a Black Screen for 15 second and then right back to the W.E.R Screen. S.W.N tries to boot up the Computer which it can't so it goes to a black screen. I left it like that to see if it would do anything else and it sat there for an hour. Trying Ctrl+F11 only takes me to this same Screen W.E.R. So why is there no option to Restore Factory Settings what am i doing Wrong. :confused:

Need to find a Solution that doesn't include getting a Recovery disk he doesn't have one And even if i wanted to get one for him i wouldn't have any ideal what i'd be looking for.

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    I have a dell inspiron 1545 also and i think mine came with either vista or windows 7. Mine is running windows xp pro.Im going to guess to start with that possibly theres a problem with the harddrive.I dont think dell will sell him a restore disk as the computer is out of warranty now.He can check on the internet and see if he can find a dell branded copy of whatever the computer came with either vista or windows 7.It will have the operating system on it only but will not restore it back to the way it was when it left the factory. As far as drivers for that model he can go to the dell website and look under support drivers and downloads and get the correct drivers needed.

3. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

The only way around your problem (without buying the recovery discs from Dell) is to use a copy of Windows that matches the version of Windows shown on the product key sticker which you should be able to find on the PC, to do a reinstall. You can then get all the drivers from Dell Support. You can also get Recovery discs from this site.

As you have found that the recovery options are not available by using F8 on boot up, the hard drive may have previously been fully formated which would have wiped out the Recovery partition. If your friend has had this PC from new and can confirm that a full format of the hard drive has not been done then as Sueohio has suggested the hard drive may be failing.

Please confirm the history of the PC and if the owner has had this machine from new.

Carry out a diagnostics on the hard drive using the following guide. Run the extended test where available.

5. Old Rich

Old Rich

6. gimire

gimire Thread Starter

no he got it from the pawn shop which is why he doesn't have the recovery disk. and

Old Rich 3: Press the <Down Arrow> on the keyboard to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press <Enter>. i get to this screen and push Repair Your Computer only it goes to a blank screen for 15 seconds and back to the Advanced Boot Options menu.

the recovery disk link was handy i'm looking at it now thanks.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030047

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice