Unable To Restore

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MAITE1

HAVE A COMPAQ 4824, WORKS FINE. HAS DATAFAX MODEM, BY ACCIDENT DELETED THE MICROSOFT FAX ICON. TRYING TO RESTORE COMP. SO IT HOPEFULLY WILL RESTORE IT.
INSERTED CD AND BOOTED FROM IT, GOES AS FAR AS DESCRIBING WHAT IT WILL DO AND DO I WANT TO CONTINUE THEN IT SAYS "CANNOT READ FROM CD" REINSERT, I DO BUT NOTHING HAPPENS. COULD IT BE THE CD IS DEFECTIVE?
READ BEFORE WITH SOMEONE HAVING A RESTORE PROBLEM THAT ON COMPAQ'S ALL ADDED HARDWARE MUST BE DISCONNECTED BEFORE RESTORING. SHOULD THE HARDWARE BE DISCONNECTED OR ONLY THE SOFTWARE BE UNINSTALLED?

It could be the Restore disk is dirty or scratched. Or the Drive might be dirty. Hope that's all it is. Try gently wiping the disk with a soft cloth and see if that helps.

Max19

Account Disabled
If all you lost was a fax icon, a full system restore seems pretty drastic. Did you delete an icon or the entire program? Can you restore what ever you did by going into the Recycle bin? At worst, you would have to reinstall the fax service/program.

MAITE1

Originally posted by Mosaic1
It could be the Restore disk is dirty or scratched. Or the Drive might be dirty. Hope that's all it is. Try gently wiping the disk with a soft cloth and see if that helps.
HAVE PURCHASED AND USED A LENS CLEANING CD
WILL CLEAN AND TRY RESTORE CD ONE MORE TIME.
I ONLY REMOVED THE MICROSOFT ICON FROM THE PRINTING SCREEN, AS THAT IS HOW I CHOOSE EITHER TO PRINT OR FAX, WHEN NOTICING COULD NOT SEND FAXES I WENT TO RECYCLING BIN HOPING TO RESTORE IT BUT IT WAS NOT THERE.
I DID NOT REMOVE THE PROGRAM. HAVE PREPARED THE COM FOR RESTORATION REMOVING/SAVING IMPORTANT FILES SO WILL TRY IT AGAIN NOW. WILL ADVISE

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online