1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to run certain applications

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Butterflye21, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Butterflye21

Butterflye21 Thread Starter

My computer suddenly refuses to run downloaded and installed applications. Specifically, I am having trouble with my instant messenger, but I attempted to download and install a few other simple programs to see if it was a general problem and sure enough, even though installation appears to work, nothing happens when I try to open the programs.
    My computer will "think" for a few moments and act like maybe it's going to open, but nothing comes up.
    The task manager processes tab says aim.exe is running, for example, but the program doesn't appear anywhere else, like in the system tray or in the first task manager tab (the one that tells which applications are running, right?).
    I finally tried a system restore, but my computer said it can't do a system restore for some reason. This problem only began in the last few days. It is an hp tc1100 tablet pc running windows XP tablet edition...any ideas?

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

Is your anti virus up to date and have you done a scan recently.

3. Butterflye21

Butterflye21 Thread Starter

Yes, I just updated and ran my antivirus and it didn't find anything wrong. My next step is to back everything up and completely reformat the computer, unless someone is struck with inspiration and figures out how to make this better!

4. xgerryx

xgerryx

A backup is allways a good idea but a reformat might be jumping the gun a bit. Have you tried running any malware removal programs eg. spybot & adaware

5. J-Son

J-Son

weird hmmm try to post a hijack this log to see if there is any virus your virus defintion didnt pick up

maybe too much ram are being taking up and if you got the cd you could try to put it in and start it up and click repair to that helps

and did you install a program before it stopped working

6. Billydon

Billydon

I am having a similar problem, I am running windows 98 and aol 8.0 optimized, Have mcAffee firewall, nd have down loaded other protections. Every thing was OK Saturday morning only my system icon/program was mising, the device tab was gone and cd's would not play utomatically, My son - in- law cleared my sys tay of all but two short cuts an now aol will start but the sign on screen will not let me use the setup buootn nd says it is searching for a modem then freeezes up, My solitaire screen will open and the cards will display then freezes, Help screen will not show help wording and the gray screen will stay on pressing alt-cntrl-delete will bring a blue screen with wirding -System is busy_ nd i have to Push Power to turn it off. He must have removed a partial of a program-- I have no recovery disc

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice