Unable to run file explorer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Big-K

Using Win2k. The problem here is a little odd. Normally I could fix something like this, but not this time. By the way, I only use explorer for file navigation, I use bblean as my shell.

It seems to be a problem in file association. Lets say I open the run box and type 'D:'. I get a 'choose program' dialog with the 'always use this program' checkmark grayed out. For the first couple times looking I couldn't even find explorer.exe in the winnt folder(yes I know it's also in other folders as a backup). I used an alternative navigator, 2xplorer, to look for some things. Soon after explorer.exe reappeared. I was able to open it by typing 'explorer' in run, but not 'explore'. Using the logo+E key doesn't work either. So now I'm able to open explorer to navigate my files(the version with the folders pane). Now I notice another problem. I double click a folder in the main pane to open it and I get the opening screen for the program 'Image Eye'. Since I don't use it anymore, I uninstall it. Now I double click the folder icon and I get a second or two of load icon then nothing. I can still navigate through the folder pane though.

I think it may have stemed through the use of CCleaner, which I only used for the first time today. I did not backup things before I fixed them(stupidly), so that's not an option. It started occuring right after closing CCleaner.

So does anybody know how to reassociate folders?

I am a bit hesitant to offer anything here do to the difficulty of sorting out your description of the problem. I hope it isn't an undue simplification to say that you are having problems with "Explorer.exe" (there is NO "explore.exe") -- both with respect to getting it to run and with its functionality when open.

Unfortunately Windows Explorer functionality depends on a lot of things, shell files and dlls, registry associations, and even Internet Explorer.

You'd be a good candidate for an upgrade to XP, where such muddles as this can often be quickly resolved with a "system restore"

I'm just going to offer some longshots here, since I really have no clear idea of what the problem is.

1 >> go to Start > Run and enter each line:

regsvr32 shell32.dll
regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll

this will rebuild some of the registry associations with folders.

2 >> Try going to Add/Remove programs and try running a repair on Internet Explorer, if it is there (Remove > Repair)

3 >> Post a HijackThis scanlog, because many issues with Explorer these days are due to malware mucking up the works:

Download and install HijackThis using the "self extractor". Run it and select "do a system scan and save the log file". Then copy/paste the contents of the log to a reply

http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/hijackthis_sfx.exe

Big-K

When did I mention 'explore.exe'? If I did I may have meant the explore command in the winnt folder.

My current HJT log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 12:33:19 AM, on 7/16/2005
Platform: Windows 2000 SP4 (WinNT 5.00.2195)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINNT\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\services.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\lsass.exe
C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\regsvc.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\MSTask.exe
C:\WINNT\System32\WBEM\WinMgmt.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\svchost.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Blackbox\blackbox.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\gnotify.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
C:\WINNT\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Linksys\WUSB11 Config Utility\WUSB11Cfg.exe
C:\HijackThis.exe

F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=C:\PROGRA~1\Blackbox\blackbox.exe
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINNT\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cmaudio] RunDll32 cmicnfg.cpl,CMICtrlWnd
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [{0228e555-4f9c-4e35-a3ec-b109a192b4c2}] C:\Program Files\Google\Gmail Notifier\gnotify.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmcService] C:\PROGRA~1\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe -startgui
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Synchronization Manager] mobsync.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.exe.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Wireless USB Network Adapter Config Utility.lnk = C:\Program Files\Linksys\WUSB11 Config Utility\WUSB11Cfg.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Google Search - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsearch.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Backward Links - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmbacklinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Cached Snapshot of Page - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmcache.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Similar Pages - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmsimilar.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Translate into English - res://c:\program files\google\GoogleToolbar2.dll/cmtrans.html
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1118246568687
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (dmadmin) - VERITAS Software Corp. - C:\WINNT\System32\dmadmin.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: RadClock - Unknown owner - C:\WINNT\system32\RadClock.exe
O23 - Service: Sygate Personal Firewall (SmcService) - Sygate Technologies, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Sygate\SPF\smc.exe

-------------

About upgrading to XP, I am a former user of XP. I explained part of why I'm not anymore on the last page of the desktop screenshot thread in Random.

I'll attempt to do a repair installation, not quite sure if I can though. Even if I can't I guess I can always just reinstall, the only data I really need is on the slave drive.

I was able to open it by typing 'explorer' in run, but not 'explore'.
I interpreted that to mean you were typing "explore" in "run".

F2 - REG:system.ini: Shell=C:\PROGRA~1\Blackbox\blackbox.exe

^^ you have an alternate "shell" to Explorer running here. I would expect that to be the most likely culprit.

Big-K

I somehow doubt it, since I've been running it for over a month and a half now with on problems. I really think the problem stemmed from ccleaner.

Maybe the cleaner did not recognize it as an installed program, or did not recognize its required files.

If you've followed my other suggestions for re-registering those dlls and repairing IE, and it's not the shell program -- I don't know what else to look for.

You could try a Safe Mode boot and see if the problem persists there; I'm not sure what shell you will get in a Safe Mode boot with that, but I would expect the normal Explorer shell.

If the problem does not occur in Safe Mode, then it's not a problem with core system files or registry entries.

Big-K

Update: I can now access it by using the logo+E shortcut.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online