1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to see External Hard Drive using USB - SATA Connector

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JohnRoss1969, Feb 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JohnRoss1969

JohnRoss1969 Thread Starter

The power went out while doing a Windows 10 update. I purchased a USB to SATA connector, connected it to another Windows 10 PC's USB port. The external hard drive that I removed from my other PC is not showing in Windows File Manager.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Is the drive a desktop type 3.5" or a laptop type 2.5" wide ? If it's 3.5" have you connected a power lead to it ?

Does the external drive show up in Disk Management ? If it does what does it say about it ?

3. JohnRoss1969

Allan, Thank you for responding.

Yes, this hard drive is from a desktop PC. The SATA to USB cable has both a power & data connection built into the plug.

The USB external hard drive does NOT show up in Disk Management.

It DOES show up in Device Manager under USB Controllers, USB Mass Storage Device.

I purchased this adapter because the power went out while updating Windows 10 at the point where it says do not turn off your computer.

I did the Windows 10 update through Microsoft, updated from Windows 7, so we do not have a Windows 10 Disk.

Also, the problem hard drive is partitioned, Drive C & Drive E.

Thank you

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I'm surprised the problem drive doesn't appear in Disk Management. Can you try another hard drive with the adapter cable to check the cable works ok ?

The good news is you can download Windows 10 and make an install DVD or USB stick for free using the method here :-
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

It would probably have to be a clean install where you wipe the hard drive first, so you would lose all the programs and data you put on the computer yourself, Windows 10 should activate ok though as long as the one you lost was already activated and this is a perfectly legal way to get 10 back.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  5. JohnRoss1969

Allan,

Thank you for your help.

I ordered the adapter cable online for a 3.5 hard drive, they sent me one for a 2.5 laptop hard drive. My mistake for not checking the label on the bag when I picked it up in the store.

I just reordered another one. Hope they send the correct one try his time.

Again, thank you for your time.

6. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I thought the SATA connections for 2.5 and 3.5 drives were identical!!!??

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1166063

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice