1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to see Local Computers

Discussion in 'Networking' started by FL1nT, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FL1nT

FL1nT Thread Starter

I am have a network with 4 computers on it. Only 2 will be sharing files. All machines are able to access the Internet through a linksys router and are doing so w/o problems atm. However, the computers i am trying to setup sharing between are unable connect. Both computers are on the same Domain and are using Windows XP Profession. For the sake of explanation i'll use the names computer a and computer b.

A can see B in My Network Places but cannot access.
    When pinging B, a request is timed out.

B cannot see A in My Network Places and likewise cannot access A.
    When pinging A, a request is timed out.

When pinging 127.0.0.1 or an external ip address, the request is completed with a reply.

I have enable NetBIOS on both machines and disable simple file sharing.

I believe that the problem exists in computer B. Thanks for your help. Any advice is appreciated.

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Have you ensure your Firewall is off on Machine B? Sounds like it may be enabled. Also does Machine B have any extra apps loaded that may be running some type of firwall software besides the SP2 one?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328552

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice