1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unable to see unallocated space after HD shrink (win vista)

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Mentalpen, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mentalpen

Mentalpen Thread Starter

So i used the built in disk management in windows vista to shrink the hard drive to create unallocated space to create a new partition to store data on.

so i shrank the C: drive which it did but it doesn't longer show the unallocated space? i'm also unable to extend the C: drive back as its greyed out?

i then decided i'd just re install vista but again it doesn't show the unallocated space, nor does it allow me to extend the C: partition? back.

any ideas.

2. daz1

daz1 Banned

3. Mentalpen

Mentalpen Thread Starter

Thanks daz but the extend is greyed out so will not extend.

4. daz1

daz1 Banned

5. Mentalpen

Mentalpen Thread Starter

The laptop is an acer one, i have no rescue disc. whilst the restore partition is intact i am unable to replace the acer MBR (trust me i have tried) to boot via Alt+f10 and restore.

so

i shrank a 139GB hard drive by 57GB to be used as data hard drive

after the shrink it shows the 9GB restore partition, the 79GB boot partition + a small 3GB partition that only shows "help" when right clicked on.

so there is the 57GB missing!!!!

it DOES NOT SHOW! not as unallocated space, nor as a hard drive/partition.

if i use command prompt and diskpart which shows it as 139GB but will not extend size by any amount and gives the error "there is not enough usable free space on specified disk(s) to extend the volume"

even when i try and do a fresh install it only shows the 79GB and the 9GB partitions NOT the shrunk 57GB space.

6. Mentalpen

Mentalpen Thread Starter

Ok I have solved this.

I slipstreamed an xp disc using nlite into a firtual floppy so xp recognised the sata drive.

I then ran the xp install which saw the dead space and allowed me to format it.

Once booted into vista it then saw the partition again.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!