1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to Send/Receive Email in MS Office Outlook 2010

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Gawain, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gawain

Gawain Thread Starter

My computer is an HP Pavilion a6345f running Windows Vista Home Edition that I've had since new (4 years ago).

During the past week or so, I've had trouble with my Office Outlook email program in the MS Office 2010 suite. When I open it and click on an email I'd get the 'Not Responding' notation next to the program name in the top part of the window. To correct this, I've used the repair function on the cd and the scanpst file in Program File, Microsoft Office, Office 14. This seems to work for a while but the 'Not Responding' message has still appeared.

Concerned that I might lose my two email data files for Office Outlook, I exported them to a flash drive where I incorporated them into one file named Outlook Data File.pst. After I'd repaired the program, I imported this file and have my data but am now unable to send/receive emails using the program (I can send/receive emails via the Internet but prefer Office Outlook).

When I try Send/Receive on Office Outlook, I get the error message 0x8004010F which talks about synchronization of an offline address book with Exchange Servers 2007 or 2010 (link here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/939765). I contacted my ISP and the techie helped me to ensure that I had a functioning email address but was unable to remedy the problem because it's a Microsoft program which the ISP doesn't support (but does support Office 2007).

I'd be grateful for any advice that will correct this problem.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Have you set up the account to your ISP in Outlook by adding their POP and SMTP settings?

3. Gawain

Gawain Thread Starter

Thanks for replying, Rockn.

Yes, the ISP techie took me through that process because the POP and SMTP signatures had changed. That said, this morning, I re-exported my Outlook data file under a new name and imported it and I am receiving email. As well, I sent myself a test message and, despite the same error message appearing, the message arrived. However, Rockn, if you have any other suggestions that would help me avoid similar email problems please go ahead.

4. Rockn

Rockn

You probably also have an unneeded profile in your settings based on a nonexistent Exchange email account. Delete the Exchange based one and you should be fine.

5. Gawain

Gawain Thread Starter

Thanks, Rockn. I'll work on that and see what happens.

6. Gawain

Gawain Thread Starter

Hello again, Rockne:

I've looked at the left pane in my Office Outlook window and see three data files. The first is called 'backup1'; the second is labelled '[email protected]'; the third is 'Outlook Data File - My Name'. Obviously I've not posted my identity and email details here.

I'm able to receive email in the second file but it has no contact list and I do get the error message when I send myself a test email. I'm unable to send/receive in the other two but 'backup1 has a contact list in the Inbox. I hesitate to delete any of them until I learn how to (a) import contacts into the second file and, (b) delete the other two. I believe that a solution to my predicament is likely fairly simple but your advice and further instruction would be greatly appreciated.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028991

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice