unable to share printer and files

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

maivina

My laptop connects wireless to my main computer and i was alsways able to share the printer and files suddenly when i click niew network places I am unable to see the other computers files or share the printer I did not change anything on either computer I uninstalled the printer on my laptop thinking maybe the files was corrupt but to no avail and tried setting up the network windows xp wizard but that did not work any ideas? thanks.

maivina

the 2 wire modem/router attached to the main computer but my other laptop with wireless card works fine with sharing the printer and files just my second laptop someting went wrong but i know not what.

You have DHCP enabled in router?

All computers must be on the same subnet i.e 192.168.1.X
All computer have have the exact WORKGROUP
File and print sharing must be enabled on all computer

On the computer with problem:

Well, it can't hurt to try the WINSOCK fix, it's free. Normally, you can't PING
if the WINSOCK is broke, but let's see...

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

{credit johnw}

maivina

Thank YOU!!! It worked I did as you said, you really know your stuff. maivina

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online