1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to shrink volume beyond certain limit!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by berch2, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berch2

berch2 Thread Starter

Hey,
    Im new to these forums so my bad if this is in the wrong place.

Im running Windows Vista Home Premium and have a 1TB (1000GB) hard drive with 564GB free.

but when I try to shrink my hard it says I can only shrink it by 7238MB.

Any ideas on how to get around this? I wanted to create a partion for like 50GB.

Any help arould be great!
    If you are able to give us a easy soluation I would be happy to send a small thanks via paypal.

Thanks again.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

That may mean that there are unmovable files near the partition boundary.

The very best idea would be to defrag with an offline defragger, like Paragon Total Defrag 2008. There are also defraggers on the UBCD4Win CD.

Failing that, try a defrag, anyway, and if you use any commercial defragger, try using its boot-time defrag function. Look at a drive map, too, to see what files/folders are near the boundary. If page file, you may be able to relocate it.

Or use an bootable partitioning tool, like Gparted. Whatever you use, the volume should be checked for errors and defragged beforehand.

Paragon Partition Manager 8.5
    PPM Special Edition serial and free registration

3. Braydenmartindal

Braydenmartindal

I had same problem do a defrag and clear as much space as possible it really helps make the limited number bigger on my small 80GB :p

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/736377

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice