1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to transplant an older modem into a newer Antec case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mystic54, Feb 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

Ok, on the older case, it didn't have a 20-pin connector connected to the motherboard, instead it was connected by 2 columns of 6 next to 6, over 6 next 6, something like this

--
    --
    --
    --
    --
    --
    --
    --
    --
    --
    --
    --
    Well on the new Antec case, we connected the 20 pin connector, but the new PSU only has 1 set of 6 by 6 pin connectors
    --
    --
    --
    --
    --
    --
    unconnected for the last 6 by 6 vertical down

Why would that be? The computer does not even start up, the motherboard doesn't even light up. I know I will need to bring in some more info first, but that is where I need people to just ask questions first, because this older motherboard is rather confusing.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    what motherboard is it/

3. norton850

norton850

I think this is what you are talking about although your title is confusing. Your old case and motherboard have an "AT" configuration. The power connectors might be labeled P8 and P9. The new Antec case is of the "ATX" type and the power connector a P1. The motherboard and the power supply are not compatible. The 6 pin connector on the Antec case is not for the main power connection.

You need to change your motherboard (with all that entails) or find an old AT case.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    wait, what about a modem :confused:

I figured it was about the PSU but I wasn't not too sure.

Well you don't need to buy a completely new case, just an AT power supply.

5. zxor38

zxor38

ok you had a AT system- the 6 cables you were referring to was the power connectors to that sysboard... now the card you are trying to send to the new tower or desktop...if it was in a black slot(isa) and the new one doest have a black slot(isa) the dont panic...simply trow trhe old card away...these days it makes better to go get a new one for the new system..atx is the new breed dont use anything from old systems.....
    +

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If you were talking about a modem, then you have an ISA modem. If the new motherboard doesn't have an ISA slot (9/10 new ones won't have an ISA slot), you will need to get a PCI modem. Those cost as low as $5-$10

7. mystic54

mystic54 Thread Starter

Man I'm really sorry guys! I was half-awake this morning when I typed this, but I some got the message. I meant originally, "Transplanting an older motherboard into an Antec case". The message I got from another board though, was that this motherboard is so old it appears to be AT not ATX, which means I have to use an older PSU. So if there is anything you guys can help out with now, throw it out there.

8. brite750

brite750

as far as i know you're not going to be able to put an AT in and atx case, the AT's that ive seen dont have the connectors in the back the way an atx mobo has, they actually plug into the mobo with cables, not part of the board as with ATX. finding a AT style psu you might be able to do but the mobo config could be a problem.

9. norton850

norton850

Sounds like an eBay visit!

10. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
  11. Arcadion

Arcadion

I don't think you will be able to get your old motherboard working in the new case at all, even if you get an AT powersupply you still have to connect the AT power button to the front of the case, the Antec case will be designed to use an ATX power button that connects to the motherboard, not the powersupply. I think it's time you replaced your motherboard--you will need a new CPU and RAM also.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/335615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice