1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to "unerase" PST file

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by surfmom, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. surfmom

surfmom Thread Starter

Why am I unable to restore a PST file that was deleted from both its original location and the recycle bin? I have tried four different shareware file restore programs and none of them have been able to find and/or restore the file. Is there something so different about a PST file that is causing this behavior? I am hesitant to actually buy a program if the result is going to be the same as I have seen with the shareware program. The operating system is 98 using Outlook 2000. Any thoughts are appreciated.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

PST files tend to be large.

When a file is deleted the references to where it is stored on the hard disk are removed, but the file still remains. Thats why files can sometimes be recovered.

With larger files such as the pst, they are often stored over several areas of the disk (they are fragmented and not contiguous). When the references to the location(s) are gone, the disk areas are free for WIndows to use again.

If you use the computer at all (even just powering it up) you run the risk of over-writing one or more parts of the file. Then its not easily recoverable. Its much more likely to happen with a large fragmented file.

3. sekirt

sekirt

One file is the same as another. Without being there, it is difficult to say why there is a problem. Since you have tried 4 different programs, I would assume you read of problems that can come up. The most common is that you used the computer after deleting it and it got overwritten. Defragging can also prevent undeleting it. There are data recovery companies that can recover an amazing amount of files long ago forgotten....however, they charge an amazing amount of money too.

My favorite is Restoration. It can run off of a floppy and is freeware....so you wouldn't have to purchase a program. It might be too late to recover this file but everyone should have a copy handy for the next situation that comes up. Right click and choose Save Target as...

ftp://ftp.externet.hu/pub/mirror/sac/utildisk/rest2514.exe

sekirt

Edit....I was busy typing when kiwi posted....but exactly like he says!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269838

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice