unable to uninstall printer files in xp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rubeckf

Ruth
Here is the problem: my mother in law lives in another state and knows very little about computers. Her very old HP printer finally died and I had one that was a friends and she gave it to me to give to her since she had just gotten a new printer. I was able to download the drivers for this HP F380 all in one and I put them on a CD & mailed it to her with a note to call me before trying anything. Of course she tried it first and then called to say that it wouldn't work. I asked her to uninstall any HP files that were on her computer. She tried to uninstall from add/remove programs one at a time. She was able to get some off but there are still 4 she can't remove that way. She also says that every time she tries to remove it that the last date used is changed to a date ahead of the day she tried. (I don't know if that means anything to you ).
I have posted this 3 times on the HP printer forums and they don't get what I'm saying. I keep getting to tell her to click on start & then control panel and add/remove programs etc. etc. She knows how to do that and has been doing it. Last night I had her run CCleaner and Malwarebytes and then try. She says she got a lot of junk off with the programs but still can't get the printer files off using add/remove in xp. Is there something that can be downloaded from HP to remove files that won't come off???
Thanks for any help.

dustyjay

Jay
Does she have a system restore date set before she attempted to install the drivers? If so she could restore the system to a date before that.

billmcct

Bill
Any files put onto a CD will have the file attribute " Read Only ". She will have to copy the files from the CD and then right click all of them and select Properties to Uncheck the Read Only boxes. I'm sure that is all it will take.
Put the files into a folder. Plug in and turn on the printer. Windows should pop up a window asking to install the drivers. Point to the folder where She put the files. If that doesn't work restart the system and if windows recognizes the printer you will get the New Hardware message asking to install the drivers. Try the automatic method first, if no luck then try pointing to the folder.

Bill

dustyjay

Jay
Actually installation files on a factory CD are read only, but you can still run the installation from the CD. So changing the file attribute should not be necessary.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
rubeckf:

Go here.

Download and save TeamViewer full version 9.0.32494 and TeamViewer Quick Support 9.0.32494

Send a copy of TeamViewer Quick Support to your mother-in-law, then instruct her to copy it to the desktop.

Install TeamViewer full version in your computer.

When you're ready to remote-access her computer, call her and instruct her to double-click it so its main window loads.

Do the same thing on your end.

Enter her ID number and password, then connect.

If all goes well, her desktop will appear in your monitor and you can take control of her computer.

---------------------------------------------------------

Doing this comes in real handy and saves me from doing a lot of driving.

---------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

Tanis

Shane
Great advice there from Frank, exactly what I was going to suggest as I read the thread. Teamviewer has saved me countless hours trying to explain things over the phone with my mum :)

rubeckf

Ruth
Thanks for all the posts and answers. Yesterday I wasn't able to get on email due to a lot of company. Today I will try and help her with her computer problems later in the afternoon when we are both available. I will take Flavallee's suggestion and give that a try. That sounds like the best solution. I'll post and let you know how it goes after we are able to get together tonight. Last night her power was out. Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I always know I can count on you people here. Thanks again.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Hopefully, you can talk her through downloading and placing the TeamViewer quick support app on her desktop so you won't have to go through the hassle of mailing it to her.

--------------------------------------------------------

rubeckf

Ruth
We just got together on trying to do this & she was able to download and run the quick support app. Both computers said they were ready to connect and each time I try to connect to hers I get the error message...a connection could not be established Reason unknown. Do you have a suggestions as to what the problem might be??

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
As long as her set of codes in TeamViewer 9 quick support were correctly given and were correctly entered in your TeamViewer 9 full version, you should've been able to connect.

-----------------------------------------------------------

rubeckf

Ruth
Does she have to download it directly from the internet? I downloaded and attached it to an email and she set it up from that. Will that work? If so, I will start all over and see if we can get it done.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I downloaded and attached it to an email and she set it up from that.
I'm surprised you were able to attach and email her that 4.73 MB-size TeamViewerQS_en.exe file because most email programs will reject a file with an .exe extension for security reasons.

If she was able to receive it, she needs to move or copy it to her desktop where the rest of her shortcut icons are located.

It then needs to be opened and run from there.

----------------------------------------------------------

rubeckf

Ruth
I have been gone most all day. I just re-downloaded them both and attached the file to the email again. Told her we would just try to see if it is going to work because she is busy later tonight.

rubeckf

Ruth
I finally talked her through downloading it to desktop etc. We were able to connect. Now it seems she has had a couple Trojans that Malwarebytes quarantined. She also had some problem with something that completely knocked out Bit Defender. I tried to do a repair and it won't let me. I guess I need to remove it and re-install from the internet. I had one that was good for 3 computers, but I have the disk here. Not sure what is going on with her computer. I think it's worse problems than the printer driver. She may have to bring it over when she comes the middle of Dec. It is very, very slow and takes forever to do anything. Anyway, just wanted you to know I did get on her computer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online