1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to use full CPU and iGPU performance at the same time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by b.weston6, Apr 15, 2018 at 1:33 PM.

Advertisement
  1. b.weston6

b.weston6 Thread Starter

Honestly I'm kinda stumped here. As far as the hardware in question goes I'm using a Thinkpad T450 with a core i5 5300U and intel 5500 graphics. I noticed that when under load of both the CPU and iGPU, CPU performance would slow down.
    I presumed thermal throttling given that it is a laptop but when using furmark and aida64 together and monitoring temperatures and load something unusual occurred. From a cold start, if running both at the same time, the GPU usage would max out while the CPU would run at only ~1.3GHz as opposed to the usual 2.7GHz. As this is from a cold start the temperature (even when running the test for 15 minutes or so) never peaked above 65 celsius.
    When running the tests separately the performance is as expected and temperatures hover around 80 Celcius for CPU tests and 65 for GPU.

Here are some quick screenshots of what I'm experiencing:

CPU and GPU stress:
    2018-04-15.png

CPU stress only:
    upload_2018-4-15_18-30-16.png

All these tests were run while the laptop was plugged in with all performance settings set on high. I'm wondering how I can get all the performance from this system, whether it is a design limitation or whether the unit may be faulty.

2. keatit71

keatit71

You could try and see if anyobdy with the same model of laptop has talked about this happening or maybe a review of it mentions it. You could always try and get a look inside of the laptop and see if theres anything unusual.

3. lynx1021

lynx1021

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1208674