1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to use USB devices.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by petrolh34d, Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. petrolh34d

petrolh34d Thread Starter

I currently use my mouse and keyboard through my USB ports without any problems at all, but when I plug a device such as a memory stick, or my phone in, XP recognizes that they've been connected and brings up all the usual message bubbles etc. However, I am unable to see the devices in 'My Computer', or gain access to them any other way, even though the device manger is able to display the name and type of the devices plugged in, and tells me that they are working properly.

Can somebody please offer advice on this, as it is such a pain.

2. Lance1

Lance1

Do your devices show up in Disk Management? If so do they have a drive letter?

3. petrolh34d

By 'Disk Managment', do you mean the 'Disk drive' section of device manger? If so, then this says that my memory stick is plugged in, but I am still unable to access it via 'Device manager'. Basically XP says that the memory stick is plugged in, but I am unable to see or access it through 'My computer'.

4. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Do you use a USB hub to plug directly into the USB ports in the computer or are you using a USB hub?

5. Lance1

Lance1

To access Disk Management you right click on My Computer and select Manage. Make sure that your USB device is plugged in. If it is there does it have a drive letter? If it does not have one you can right click on it and assign it one.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      192.2 KB
      Views:
  6. petrolh34d

Thanks for the assistance, but the device does not appear in the device manager, what can I do next?

7. aldago

aldago

8. PoTaToGuY

PoTaToGuY

I'm also having the same problems. I've got into the Disk Management, my external HDD does appear, but after I right click and hit initialise, nothing happens after that, it still does not have a drive letter. I'm not sure what to do.

9. TOGG

TOGG

Referring back to ozrom1e's post, my son and I spent a lot of time earlier today attempting to persuade Windows to recognise his new Fuji digital camera.

We got a variety of popups (at least one of which 'recognised' the camera) and then error messages mentioning drivers, memory etc. We solved it eventually by using a USB port on the back of the computer instead.

On this computer at least, the two USB ports on the front must be on a hub so, no go with the camera!

10. PoTaToGuY

PoTaToGuY

Thanks for trying to help, but that didn't really work... I've tried using all different USB ports on my computer, but that doesn't change anything. =(

11. petrolh34d

Ok, managed to get the memory stick to appear in Disk Manager, I then assigned a drive letter to it, but it does not assign properly, as the memory stick does not retain the drive letter after I close the Disk Manager, and the memory stick does not become visible in My Computer at any time. I am however able to explore the memory stick whilst in the Disk Manager.

Also thanks for the advice on the registry, I am pretty sure that this would solve the problem, but my computer will not allow me to delete the neccessary registry entrys, as it advises me that an error occurs when I try to do this:confused:

12. aldago

aldago

I think the way to solve your problem is by editing the registry or reinstalling windows - which is a bear. You've seen that you can use your USB drives if you open them in the disk management dialog but that's also a pain. As you've found out, you are having a problem because a drive letter is not being assigned by the disk manager and when you assign one it disappears after a reboot.

Try to edit the registry in Safe Mode and make sure you log in as administrator. Also, if you haven't tried it, do a system restore to a time before you experienced the problem and see if that helps. Also, try to remember what you did that caused the problem so that you can avoid it in the future.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!