unable to view/edit certain files on win98-winXP network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rebeltaz

Ok.. let me see if I can explain this.

My network is setup like this: the DSL is connected to a router (routerA). This router (routerA) is connected to a WinXP system (system1) (pretty much running as a file server) and, through cat-5 cables, to two other routers (routerB and routerC). One of these routers (routerB) is connected to two iMacs and a WinXP system (system2). The other router (routerC) is connected to a WInXP system (system3) running as MediaCenterPC and, wirelessly, to a Win98 laptop (system4).

Ok, now I can view, access and edit any shared file on any of the WinXP systems. The problem comes in when you try to access or edit certain files (mainly RARs and PDFs) stored on the WinXP system3 from the Win98 laptop. From the laptop, I can see all of the shared files, but if I click on certain RAR or PDF files on system3, I get "cannot open" errors. And it doesn't happen on all of them. Some open just fine. And the ones that don't open, open just fine from any other system.

I hope that I have explained this ok. Any help will be great!

rebeltaz

I hate bumping threads, but I really do need some help with this problem. Thanks.

TerryNet

Terry
You needn't wait two weeks to bump! :) A day is sufficient.

Is the system 3 XP Pro? If so, and if you are not using Simple File Sharing my first suspect would be different permissions on the files that are denied to the 98.

rebeltaz

It's XP Home SP3. As far as I know, the permissions on individual files should be identical. What I did was to set the drive itself as shared. I would think that any file I placed on that drive should have the same permissions, or is that not correct?

I forgot to mention that if I copy a PDF or archive file to the XP system from the 98 system, I can access those no problem. It's only if I download them directly to and through the XP system that I can't access them on the 98.

Jeez, that is confusing when I re-read it!

TerryNet

Terry
XP Home only has Simple File Sharing, so you are correct about all the files should be treated equally.

Any chance that all your 98 files are 8.3 (e.g., <8 chars or less>.pdf) and the XP names are longer?

Somebody had a strange problem (that most of us could not duplicate) that files downloaded by Firefox could not be accessed from a remote PC. Any chance you are using Firefox for the downloads? If so, give IE a try just to test.

rebeltaz

Actually, it happens that I AM using Firefox.I'll try IE and see if that is the cause. No ideas why Firefox would have that effect? That seems odd....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online