1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to view Event Viewer/CPU at 100%

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by vaugh, Jun 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vaugh

vaugh Thread Starter

Hello,
    I've been trying to help my friend fix his laptop. It's a Dell Inspiron 1501 with Vista Home Basic. It started off with the CPU constantly running at 100% even when idle.
    We ran some spyware/antivirus scans (ie, norton security scan, malwarebytes etc) which found lots of problems, but it still locks up constantly.
    I am unable to open the Event viewer, when i try it just doesn't open, if i go into the task manager it shows mmc.exe under the processes tab but there is no window open (I will also get a message after a few minutes saying mmc.exe has stopped responding. I also get a message at start-up saying "Failed to connect to a windows service: Windows could not connect to the System Event Notification Service service. This problem prevents limited users from logging on to the system. As an administrator user, you can review the System Event Log for details about why the service didn't respond." but, of course, I can't.

Any help on the matter would be very appreciated.

2. mjk3k

mjk3k Guest

Try do both the scans and what you have done above in Safe mode and let us know ?

3. vaugh

vaugh Thread Starter

Hi, and thanks. Both scans just finished, and came up with nothing. Any ideas?

4. vaugh

vaugh Thread Starter

Still having trouble with this. Has anybody encountered anything similiar?

5. kenny111111

kenny111111

6. vaugh

vaugh Thread Starter

Hi Kenny,

Yes, I ran that yesterday with no avail. I'm going to try a repair install of vista next.

7. vaugh

vaugh Thread Starter

UPDATE, I just booted from disk and tried to run Start Up Repair and it said it found no problems, so I opened the command prompt and got a message saying "Cannot check this disk because it is write protected.

8. kenny111111

kenny111111

9. vaugh

vaugh Thread Starter

Yes, sorry, i could've worded that better. Startup Repair said there was no problems, So I opened the command prompt tried "chkdsk -r"

10. kenny111111

kenny111111

11. vaugh

vaugh Thread Starter

Thanks Kenny, will try that.

12. vaugh

vaugh Thread Starter

Okay, I've finished disk checking following the instructions on the link you sent me. and my problem still exists. :(
    The computer is grinding along so slowly it's driving me insane, if I could just get the Event viewer open that would help me a lot.

When chkdsk finished i got a message at the bottom of the command prompt saying "Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log"

13. vaugh

vaugh Thread Starter

No one?

14. kenny111111

kenny111111

has your friend EVER used any register cleaners on this pc?
    if yes. does it have a restore point in the cleaning program?
    if no. maybe try to create another user account (admin) see if the app works from there?
    if not make sure all important data is backed up & start from fresh?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/836224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice