1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unable to watch Movies

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by 13thLetter, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 13thLetter

13thLetter Thread Starter

Ok, the title is kind of misleading. What I have is a Dell Inspiron 8200 with Windows XP 2002, service pack 3, pentium 4 processor 1.70Ghz, 384 MB Ram. I also have VLC media player, realplayer, Windows Media Player, and WinDVD.

My laptop is connected to my flatscreen HDTV via VGA cable. (I think that's the one that plugs into most monitors, anyway...)

My flatscreen is a Toshiba Regza 37HL67S.

I have successfully configured the laptop so that it displays on the TV by reducing the resolution to 1024 x 768 and making the refresh rate 60 hz via the Display properties.

If you're still with me HERE'S MY PROBLEM: DVD'S and many movies that I play on my laptop to not display on my TV. I can see them just fine on the laptop screen but when I try to play them on the TV the screen either goes blank, or the window that is showing the movie goes black. There's something incompatible with my settings what the TV can display I just don't know what it is or where to look. I've consulted the owners manual for the television to no avail. I would appreciate any assistance anyone could offer. Thank you very much for your time and effort.

13thLetter
    Milton, FL.

2. mm018x2710

mm018x2710

Curious. Have you tried Cyberlink powercinema its a program that lets you watch movies from a pc onto a tv or try AVS software windows media player is only for pc's from what i remember.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

The TV only displays what is sent to it, so you should look to your graphics card for adjustments and fixes. You might try turning off DirectX acceleration if the movies still play correctly (troubleshooting slider), or at least reducing them.

What graphics card do you have and do you have the control software for it installed?

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome.

Ok, this might be a stupid question :eek: But, if you have a flatscreen tv, why do you need to play a movie from your laptop? Surely you have a dvd player attached to your flatscreen?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Ah, Candy. Always straight to the heart of the matter....:D

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Well, I mean, seriously? I need to do that when I travel with my laptop and there is no DVD player in the room or cabin, but, can't imagine why I would drag the laptop to the big screen tv in order to watch a movie :D

7. 13thLetter

13thLetter Thread Starter

Well, the tv was a gift, the laptop works, the dvd player not so much. So, instead of spending 40-400 on a new dvd player why not fix the laptop I have. I also download movies from netflix and the like. I'm not sure what video card I have, everything is stock from the factory. If someone could tell me how to find out I'd appreciate it. Also, I'm going to try out that DirectX thing. Again thanks, for all of your help.

8. vicks

vicks

D/L run www.belarc.com. This free program will tell you everything on your computer, including license/key numbers.
    Vicks

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/761738

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice