1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

unable to write to or format cd with Roxio Creator 5 Platinum

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by geordief, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. geordief

geordief Thread Starter

I get this error message when I try to format my cd.Here it is
    Illegal start block address (0x400004b) You will not be able to read and
    write to the disc through drive letter access."

I have searched through the posts on Google groups and this problem has been reported over the past 5 or so years.Nobody that I can find has been able to find an answer!
    To me it is more than academic as I have already lost a lot of files that I backed up to one of my cds and the other will only read although it is a CD-RW disk.
    Other new cds I bought will not let me write to them either (access denied)
    My system is Windows ME and my CD player is TEAC CD-W54E.I have 300Mghz,256Ram and plenty of HD space.
    I had no problems with writing and reading for the past 6 months and now there is this problem .
    When I open Device Manager I see there is a CD ROM listed but is that important?I replaced the original CD player with the CD writer 6 months ago and as I said ,it worked fine till now.
    I have uninstalled Roxio EasyCD Creator Platinum ,gone through the registry to make sure it was all gone and then reinstalled (with a patch)but that has not fixed the problem..
    Has anyone got a good idea as to what the problem is before I have to replace my whole system with something I can actually rely on.
    thanks
    Gary Davies

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice