1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unattended disk - adding drivers

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by yankees8223, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yankees8223

yankees8223 Thread Starter

Hello. I am updating an unattended Windows XP disk that we have here. One of the guys before me created the disk and he is no longer working here. I am adding new drivers to the I386\Drivers folder but in the process it makes the disk too large.

My main question is which driver files do I really need to add to the driver folder and which can I leave out? For example, when Dell provides drivers, they are .exe files (i.e. R114079.exe). Typically, we would need to extract that file to get the actual driver files and we could copy those to the unattended disk. When I extract the .exe file I will end up with several folders (i.e. Lang, win2000, win2003, XP) and several files (i.e. readme.txt, version.txt, csver.dll, install.cfg, setup.exe). Within the Xp folder, is over 50 files, mainly .inf and .cat files. Do I need all of those files and folders on an unattended disk or if I just copied over the "XP" folder, would that be enough? After all, the .inf files are located within the XP folder anyways.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!