1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unauthenticated copy of Win7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by amalis, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amalis

amalis Thread Starter

Hey. Glad to be here. I purchased a used HP Netbook 110 with Win7 on it, and the first time we turned it on it updated Win7 with the result that we now have an unauthenticated copy. The box the unit came in said it was sold with XP SP3, so I'm guessing the prevoius owner loaded an unauthenticated copy of Win7 on. There is a product code sticker on the bottom of the netbook but no product is actually specified -- I'm guessing it's XP. As the netbook did not come with any CDs (no drives to use them in) would a computer shop restore to XP without me having to purchase the OS? It seems I am "entitled" to one, but don't have the means to load it onto the machine. Or should I get a copy of Win7? It may also be possible that the copy of Win7 is authentic, but I have no way of knowing. Is there a way to tell?

My machines are running XP but they are Dell desktops and I don't know if that would work -- most probably not. Any ideas anyone? This is my first experience with Win7, so I'm not sure if purchasing a copy is a good idea. I've stayed away from it until now -- I actually purchase a computer the week Win7 was released and fought with Dell to get it delivered with XP. Off subject. Thanks for any responses.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Right click on Computer, choose Properties, scroll down to the bottom, choose Activate . Then you can see if the copy of Win 7 is genuine.

3. amalis

amalis Thread Starter

thanks for the reply. I assumed that the win7 was not authentic, as the netbook came from a computer science student, and so made arrangements to have an authentic copy loaded and be all legal and everything.

a

4. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Probably a good idea. The installed copy might have been authentic, for the student, but not for you. I seem to recall that Microsoft had a deal for students where they could download copies of Win7 thru their schools, and they'd be legitimate as long as they were still at the school. Technologically I doubt it would expire when they (or the computer) left, but legally it would be questionable. If that's what happened here.

5. Gouthaman

Gouthaman

Since you use a Netbook, I suggest you have a look at Jolicloud. I am not against Windows, I fact, I love Windows. It's just the Windows is not a great OS for Netbooks.

Jolicloud is FREE, btw. It works on Cloud and can help you do anything on the Internet.

Good luck.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977306

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice