Unbearable slow PC

americamba

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200625104003.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-5020U CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 61 Stepping 4, CPU Count: 4
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 419 GB (182 GB Free); D: 24 GB (24 GB Free); G: 59 GB (54 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO Lenovo Edge 15, ver SDK0J40709 WIN, s/n R90JCJP6
System: Lenovo, ver LENOVO - 1, s/n R90JCJP6R9N0B5C1500T
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

My PC is SLOOOOOOW!! What can I do? It is totally unworkable. I have to wait a full minute for pages to come up and click ten times to get a reaction. I think the mouse is OK because it moves well and eventually opens a link. I was told by an advisor on techguy that I don't need an anti-virus because Windows Defender is enough. True? If so, how do I run a check with defender? Is it always on?

Couriant

James

americamba

thanks, your CPU, RAM were low use in Task Manager. I scanned with a windows security defender and no bad stuff was around... I will work on deleting from the HDD. BUT!!! the problem went away. Any idea why? are

Couriant

James
Maybe there was a scan at the time, or maybe an update? Those are the common things that could slow you down if they are running in the background. One thing I noticed with my son's machine and a few others is the CPU speed dropping down.

1604003916698.png

Sometimes that would drop to about 85-90% and caused slowness. Something to watch for if it happens again and there are no running apps/scans happening.

americamba

Maybe there was a scan at the time, or maybe an update? Those are the common things that could slow you down if they are running in the background. One thing I noticed with my son's machine and a few others is the CPU speed dropping down.

View attachment 282098

Sometimes that would drop to about 85-90% and caused slowness. Something to watch for if it happens again and there are no running apps/scans happening.
It's back. Now, almost all links need about 5 clicks to react. I have deleted a lot from the hard drive thinking that might be it. Am I on right track?

americamba

Is an internal ssd (samsung or Western digital) easy to install in a lenovo edge touch laptop? Is an external an option?

HOBOcs

Jim
One thing might try is to scan your hard drive for errors.

To do, Access "Your PC" through the windows explorer or the file folder showing in your system tray (bar at the bottom) .Then right click on your c drive - choose "properties" from the drop down then choose "tools" from the top tab options. Then click on the "check" button in the "Error Checking" area.
This can take minutes to maybe an hour. Let complete and then reboot and log back in.
Report back your results. May or may not help...but a good start.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online