'Unbreakable' encryption unveiled

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lotuseclat79

'Unbreakable' encryption unveiled.

Perfect secrecy has come a step closer with the launch of the world's first computer network protected by unbreakable quantum encryption at a scientific conference in Vienna.

"We are constantly in touch with insurance companies and banks, and they say it's nearly better that they lose 10m euros than if the system is down for two hours, because that might be more damaging for the bank," said Dr Huebel.

"So that's what we have to prove, that we have a reliable system that delivers quantum keys for several weeks without interruption, and then they might be more interested."
It looks like an important milestone has been reached, now if only people can only learn not to be socially engineered by miscreants and malware - we would all be safer - and if designers can learn to design security into systems and applications.

-- Tom

'Unbreakable' encryption unveiled.

Perfect secrecy has come a step closer with the launch of the world's first computer network protected by unbreakable quantum encryption at a scientific conference in Vienna.

It looks like an important milestone has been reached, now if only people can only learn not to be socially engineered by miscreants and malware - we would all be safer - and if designers can learn to design security into systems and applications.

-- Tom
Might want to read this Tom.
http://forums.techguy.org/tech-rela...able-quantum-cryptography-hacked-without.html

lotuseclat79

Hi RootBeaR,

Yeah, I posted the same article in the Science and Space thread, however, the one you reference is Norwegian, the one I reference is Austrian.

Essentially, they are two different schemes. It remains to be seen if the Norwegian technique can be used at all to crack the Austrian scheme.

-- Tom

calvin-c

Banned
now if only people can only learn not to be socially engineered by miscreants and malware - we would all be safer
IMO it's about as likely as ending war & terrorism or getting rid of crime. I'll agree it'd be nice, but I don't think it's gonna happen. Ever. (We've had periods without war in the past-but war has always returned. And the difference between terrorism & crime is in the observer's viewpoint so like I said, I don't think we're ever going to really get rid of them.)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online