Unbuffered or Registered RAM?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

BML

I am building a system and I purchased one stick of RAM that is "unbuffered", 1gb size. Should I have bought the registered/buffered RAM instead? I read somewhere that if you have over 1gb of RAM in your system it should be buffered. Will this type degrade the performance?

Registered RAM has traditionally been used in servers and has mechanisms ("registers") the deal with error control. Usually it is more expensive and perhaps not as fast as non registered ("unbuffered") RAM. So unless your MB demands registered no need to get it. Haven't heard about the 1GB issue.

your motherboard supports one or the other...either ECC error code checking or unbuffered look at your motherboard spec's to see which one it takes

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Actually, ECC and registered RAM are two totally different things. Your MB will normally only support registered or unregistered memory, usually unregistered. ECC adds a parity bit to each byte, and in truth, most MB's support parity memory if you have the desire. I use ECC memory in my machines, one less error I have to worry about. :)

I've never heard the 1gig rumor, and I have several systems with 1gig modules, they work just fine.

I have heard the 1gig rumor, but only from Sisoft.

So for those who love Sisoft... (Don't everyone stand up at once.)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online