Unc path/C networking help please

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

raz

Hi guys...Need some help please
I'll try and keep it simple
I have two systems 1. Win2k wireless desktop and 2. Win XP pro SP2 laptop

Both access the net fine..pick up IP addresses fine.

But i cant seem to share files at all between the win2k and xp
In the run box i type \\ipaddress\C$
Brings up a Windows login box
I enter the Administrator Acoount details, press enter and the log in box reapears again without the password

I have also installed Real VNC which works fine with the same ip address. file and printer sharing has been enabled in the windows firewall i think. I can access the 2k files from the win xp machine without any probs but not vice versa. Please can you help..what am i missing? I am guessing that it could be an SP2 issue firewall?

Cheers
Raz

raz said:
Hi guys...Need some help please
I'll try and keep it simple
I have two systems 1. Win2k wireless desktop and 2. Win XP pro SP2 laptop

Both access the net fine..pick up IP addresses fine.

But i cant seem to share files at all between the win2k and xp
In the run box i type \\ipaddress\C$
Brings up a Windows login box
I enter the Administrator Acoount details, press enter and the log in box reapears again without the password

I have also installed Real VNC which works fine with the same ip address. file and printer sharing has been enabled in the windows firewall i think. I can access the 2k files from the win xp machine without any probs but not vice versa. Please can you help..what am i missing? I am guessing that it could be an SP2 issue firewall?

Cheers
Raz
Disable the firewall to start. Be sure the box your logging into has an account with admin permissions (which it appears you have done, correct me here).

Also, establish your connection from a cmd prompt. Type in:
net use * \\ipaddress\c$

and see how that goes.

raz

Thanks Still no joy

Switched off sp2 firewall....login box poped up as before..entered admin u/m & P/w and passsword disapeared as before

from CMD Net use came back with the following

System error 67 has occurred.

The network name cannot be found.

Both IP address and computer name rtesulted in same error

Any further ideas?
Cheers

raz said:
Thanks Still no joy

Switched off sp2 firewall....login box poped up as before..entered admin u/m & P/w and passsword disapeared as before

from CMD Net use came back with the following

System error 67 has occurred.

The network name cannot be found.

Both IP address and computer name rtesulted in same error

Any further ideas?
Cheers
So...can the machines ping each other? I'm guessing that's no from your reply, correct me if I'm wrong.

If one machine can reach the other and not vice versa it's usually a firewall issue. Be sure you have disabled any and all firewalls in that XP PC (Norton, etc), not just the SP2 firewall.

The basics for troubleshooting are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The NetBIOS DEFAULT setting works fine so there is no need to change from that either.

raz

Thanks..still no luck tried everything you suggested. i can sucessfully ping the troublesome computer both by name and ip address (same scheme/subnet/dns/gateway etc). no luch switching off the firewall. entire networks shows both computers but cant access it even using same admin u/n and password. no other firewalls installed...the only other thin i can think off is that i have apatche http server installed..could this be causing the prob...i'd shouldnt have thought so.

Any further ideas...im really getting desperate here
Thanks

Cheers
Raz

How are you logging on to the 2000 box? As Administrator or another user?

Oh, I've also seen it sometimes where you need to enter just \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (without specifying a drive letter or share) to authenticate. After that, I'm able to access shares successfully.

raz

angel said:
How are you logging on to the 2000 box? As Administrator or another user?
i am using the administrator account which is the same for both systems.

raz

angel said:
Oh, I've also seen it sometimes where you need to enter just \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (without specifying a drive letter or share) to authenticate. After that, I'm able to access shares successfully.
Just tried that again .....no luck i'm fraid, again it brings up the login box...tried login as administrator....box just disapears and reapears without password...however i did get a bad credentials errror message on one attempt. but 2nd/3rd/4th attempt..no error msg.

thx
Raz

raz

would upgrading to xp pro solve the prob?....dont wanna do it but if necessary to resolve this..then no choice.

raz said:
would upgrading to xp pro solve the prob?....dont wanna do it but if necessary to resolve this..then no choice.
You seem to be nearly there but something is blocking you. You state you can access the Win2K box file sharing but not vice versa, correct?

You also state that the login box pops up repeatedly, which means an authentication issue of some kind. So, if you've truely disabled all firewalls on the XPPro laptop, I want you to inspect your accounts on the laptop.

On your XPPro laptop, R-Click on My Computer, select manage. Click on local users and groups and confirm the presence of an Administrator account, that it has admin permissions and that the account is not locked out.

raz

Cheers squidboy

administrator accounts exist with the password never expires box checked only

I'm Seriously stuck

Help me please...this is doing my head in :)
Thanks
Rahim

Just for kicks, try and create a new user account with the same user/pass on each box and try that one.

raz

thanks angel

tried that again....no luck....tried login as created user....box just disapears and reapears without password or username this time

thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online