1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unclickable Area within Display

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by assochq, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. assochq

assochq Thread Starter

I have a small area at the bottom middle of my screen-display which is unclickable. Visually this area of the screen displays perfectly. But if I drag a file icon across my Desktop the icon becomes a null sign when I cross over this small area. Likewise, if I'm inside a program, this area of the screen is "dead." After a lot of trial and error I found that if I changed the Windows "Theme" setting (e.g., from Windows Vista to Windows Classic and back again to Vista), this eliminated this "dead" area. However, upon restarting my computer, this "dead" area returns. It's definitely a Windows issue, as I've swapped monitors and get the same "dead" zone. Any suggestions?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It may be a hardware problem rather than a Windows issue. It could even be a failure of a section of graphics memory.

Make a Linux CD and boot up with it. See if the problem disappears. Or try changing the resolution of your screen temporarily to see if it makes any difference. You could also try looking for an updated driver from the manufacturer (This is an unlikely solution, but I have seen very strange and small things happen due to drivers, like wobbly context menus, that you would not think had much to do with the driver if it was working at all).

Suggested Linux CD (or USB thumb drive):------------------------>

Parted Magic disk partitoning tool (Bootable CD image)
    If you prefer a bootable USB key, download and run Linux Live USB Creator. Choose the Parted Magic distro, and it will download it and automatically create a bootable USB key.

This CD (or key) contains many useful tools. You can partition, recover files, recover lost partitions, make disk images (by several different methods), transfer files between media, scan for viruses (It can serve as an Alternative Trusted Platform for search and elimination of rootkits and bootkits), examine and benchmark hardware, access the internet, and much more.

3. assochq

assochq Thread Starter

Thanks. I did update to the latest drivers for both my video card and my mouse, and this did not eliminate the problem. Safe Mode does eliminate the problem.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Hmmm. Safe Mode uses the generic VGA driver. Did you actually install a new driver or just check for one? Where did you get the driver?

It is possible that it is system RAM that has a problem, too. Try running a memory test.

MemScope (Floppy and CD images.)
    Roadkil's RAM Test
    Microsoft Memory Test (floppy or CD ISO image)
    Memtest86

If you have enough memory sticks, you can test them by removing one at a time and see if the problem disappears.

If you are running Vista or 7, tap F8 on boot and choose the memory diagnostic, or if you can boot up, go to Start > Search and type:

mdsched.exe

Choose to run a memory diagnostic on next boot. Or, you can boot from the DVD and run it from there.

5. assochq

assochq Thread Starter

Yes, I did install the latest nVidia driver, from the nVidia webiste. (And I used nVidia's "clean install" procedure using DriverSweeper.) I'll try the mem test. Thanks!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

After that, I don't know what else to try except the Linux approach. It will install its own driver when you boot from the CD. Once booted up, you can set the resolution to closely match what you had in Windows. Then you could try dragging something. If it drags OK, we would know that it was not hardware or the graphics card's memory, either. If the problem is there, too, then it is likely that the card needs to be replaced.

If it is an add-on card, you may want to remove it from its slot and reseat it, too. Maybe there is a bad connection on one pin (Really grasping at straws now).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/989356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice