1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unconditional Format

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rxm, Mar 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rxm

rxm Thread Starter

I am 12 hours into a reformat of my c drive. These are the commands that I have entered

Format c:/q
    Invalid existing format
    This disk cannot be quick formatted
    Proceed with Unconditional format (y/n)
    Y
    Formatting
    Trying to recover allocation unit (it is up to 57,000 on a 2gb hard drive)

Does anyone know how long this will take?

I am afraid of stopping the reformat process as I don't know whether that will do more harm than good. Any advice?

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you are getting that error, it sounds like the hard drive is starting to go bad. If this is the case, and given the price of drives, you might consider getting a new one.

Also, if you have an older computer, make sure the BIOS will support whatever drive size you get.

3. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

The proper command to unconditionally format is format /u. Is this a laptop or desktop? Like Bob said, drives that small are dirt cheap these days, probably you could find a 2 gig for around 10 bucks, maybe less. They will most likely charge you more for the shipping than the hard drive :D

4. rxm

rxm Thread Starter

I don't think I have a hard drive problem as it was ok before I started this process. My goal is to install windows me. The current system has windows 98 upgrade over windows 95. It is a Sony VAIO and I am trying to do the install without the Sony Recovery Disk.

5. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

I just formatted a 4 gig hard drive this morning with PartitionExpert, and it took less than a minute ;)

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What about just plain vanilla

format C:

???

7. john1

john1

Did you run Scandisk beforehand?
    that should take dodgy sectors out of the loop.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/213547