1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

undeletable file?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by crunch, Apr 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crunch

crunch Thread Starter

im using xp pro. i beleive i have an undeletable file i placed on my desktop by accident that i really wish to delete. it came from an .iso from the game unreal tournament 2004. anywho the file is simply called setup.exe. when you try and delete it it says its being used by another program. the file appears to be dos based because when you click it it briefly brings up a dos window before a command line error. so the file appears to be useless. i booted into safemode using msconfig to have the minimum processes running and tried to delete it and it still says being used by another program. while in safe mode i tried to end even more processes while trying to delete it and was unsuccessful. its not spyware or a trojan. i will do anything to delete this file, even if it brings damage or needs me to delete whatever is using it. please help.

2. rude

rude

Right click and select properties,what does it say?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

4. crunch

crunch Thread Starter

it has quite a bit of properties. the size is 24kb and its located on my desktop. its an application file. The description is setup. theres a total of 8 seperate tabs with their own attributes but i just read the general tab.

5. rude

rude

On the property tab,does it say "Read only" or "Hidden" or are they both checked?

6. crunch

crunch Thread Starter

drdelete handled it but they were both unchecked. i copied the file and placed it in another folder and did not execute it and saw whether i could delete it or not and it did the same thing as the original setup.exe but no worries. thanks guys. from now on i will keep in mind the fact to keep iso files in one peice instead of taking them apart to see "which does what". thanks again :D

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

It sounds like it was a corrupt, incomplete file. Especially if it had no icon (or rather the default square window of a DOS program). If it is not a 32-bit Windows app, it will be executed in DOS (VM in XP) and that is probably why you got the brief command window.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!