1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Undelete for Win98 files in DOS

Discussion in 'DOS/Other' started by jbcanadian, Mar 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jbcanadian

jbcanadian Thread Starter

Hi,

I am trying to use the undelete.exe command to recover a file. I have navigated to the directory that the file was in, and typed undelete /list (after locking HD). This is what it is looking like on my screen:

c:\windows\applic~1\undelete /list
    File Specifications *.*

This is as far as I am getting. The computer does not respond to Ctrl+C...have to Ctrl+Alt+Del to get out. The keyboard is not totally locked up, though, as the NumLock key is still working.

Do I have a bad copy of the undelete utility, or am I missing something?

Please help!!! I severely need this file!!!!

Thanks,
    JB

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

What version of windows?

Oh, 98...

This program / command was designed to only be ran in MS-DOS versions 5.0 to 6.22. If you have upgraded to Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, or any other Operating system this command will not restore any information but may possibly cause additional issues with the Hard Drive if ran. If you currently are running a different operating system it is recommended that you pay a third party to restore the information from your Hard Drive. Or possibly purchase a program capable of restoring files

This site indicates that command does not work in W98.

3. jbcanadian

Windows 98 was the OS, but it is dead now.

4. cybertech

So if are you booting with a 5.0 or 6.22 boot disk it should be ok. If it's freezing up it could be a bad spot on the hard drive.

5. jbcanadian

Thanks. I am running a scandisk now to check on that. Hopefully scandisk will find an error or 3 and clean it up.

Says it is going to take 2.5 hours to complete. I'll post again to bring you up to speed. Thanks for your help on this one!!

JB

6. cybertech

7. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

If you have your hard disk formatted with FAT 32, Undelete will NOT work.

8. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/211991

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice