1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Underclocking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by savio21, Jul 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. savio21

savio21 Thread Starter

I know i have a relatively old computer but i would like to give it to my dad but the problem is it has a really bad habit of overheating and since my dad wont be using any programs that will require high cpu consumption i would like to underclock it in the hope that itll reduce temperatures.

I have an Amp XP 2000+ on a ASUS A7V333 motherboard, 1Gb ram and Geforce4 MX440 video

any steps on how to underclock or to reduce temperature, i tried to the bios but it gives me only 3 settings for speed 1200MHz 1667MHz(what its on right now) and 2000MHz i tired the 1200 MHz but it gets to the XP loading screen and then hangs and 2000MHz i got greedy and wanted to c how it would run it would get past the POST test.

thanx in advance

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

Go back to the default, underclocking will not reduce the heat. That processor runs very cool all on it's own so the heat problem is coming from somewhere else. Fan and heatsink trouble, blocked airflow in the case, dust buildup, intake and/or exhaust fans not working, or blocked, PSU fan not working? These are common causes.

What are the temps?

3. savio21

savio21 Thread Starter

theres definately a build up of dust on the heat sink, as for intake fans to put it plainly there r none, i have the side panel open cuz with the panel the temperature was insanely high, i have a small house fan placed on the open side and with it the idle temp when im just typin a word document or somethin its bout 60C and if i start playin any games it quickly sky rockets into 70+C

would removing dust from teh heat sink and fan drastically reduce temperatures

4. DVrE

DVrE

removing the dust could help quite a bit. also (recently found out by overheating problems) it is a must to have chassis fans. you are guaranteed to have an overheating computer if the environment is warm. right now my computer is at 39 processor, 36 system zone one, 38 system zone two. i have p4 2.66 ghz, onboard graphics, an old sound card (my onboard sound died....), an intel motherboard, and a network card. i don't know if a GeForce card should put the heat up so high, but I'd assume it shouldn't.

my recommendation: try clearing dust, reapply thermal grease, and getting some chassis fans. if your chassis can't support fans you should probably get a new chassis.

also (unlikely) if your power supply is putting out more than it is rated at (e.g. 320 watts, when its rated 300watts) it'll cause the power supply to heat up a lot, and possibly give up (die)

edit: if you don't have heat spreaders an your ram, you should put some on (you still need chassis fans, otherwise heat spreaders are useless.

5. savio21

savio21 Thread Starter

hmm my PSU is 300W but how do i check how much its putting out, as for the chasis i ws afraid of getting one cuz i didnt think my PSU could handle any more load as i have a SB! LIve sound card as well, a network card, 4 usb ports 3 being in use

6. DVrE

DVrE

that's probably a good enough PSU but you still might want to check. you could use a program such as Intel Active Monitor, if all the power meters are straight up then it is probably OK. You could also spend the time to figure out how much power your using total by adding up the power ratings for each thing you have.

next time you boot up feel your power supply every few minutes. if it is rapidly heating up there is probably a problem with it. if it gets to where it's hot enough to burn you, then there almost certainly is a problem. make sure you have the right voltage set (115v or 220v usually). if you live in the U.S. you'll want it set to 115v (there are no 220v outlets in the US, or if there are they won't be any apartment or house). in Europe and elsewhere you would probably have to check. I don't know how to check outlet voltage, i live in the U.S. so i know what to set it to.

7. savio21

savio21 Thread Starter

yea for the first time in 3 years it took the fan off the heat sink and cleared a good chunk of duct that was blocking the air flow, the temperature dropped to 48C idling and bout 60C when playing games which is acceptable for me, soon enough ill be buyin a new computer and giving the current one to my parents which should be good enough as is.

thanx for the quick replies guys, been really useful

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!