1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Understanding How To Bolster Password Security

Discussion in 'General Security' started by lotuseclat79, Apr 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Thread Starter

How I’d Hack Your Weak Passwords.

Note: This isn't intended as a guide to hacking *other people's* weak passwords. Instead, the aim is to help you better understand the security of your own passwords and how to bolster that security.

-- Tom

2. hewee

hewee

3. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear hewee,
    just FANTASTIC! The grc.com really opened my eyes wide open! lotuseclat 79 mentioned three encrypted programs to save all the random passwords. My question is can these programs 1)Roboform, 2)KeePass and 3) LastPass, be compromised? I have read about these programs ( not in-depth) and what's your view?
    My dad's way too rich and he trusts the Swiss banks (two) and never does an on-line transaction,never! I think they have a Seven step procedure, before any depositor is allowed access to his vault! I can share a secret here! Nobody's two "earlobes" are the same on each side of the head! In addition to the other rigorous tests, the ear lobes are scanned too for the exact dis-similarities! :rolleyes::eek:

4. hewee

hewee

I don't have any password manager but should. Get a good password for your password manager and that will really help protect your password. Then get good password for sites that are to hard to break and remember your need a password manager.

I use KeyScrambler Personal so when I type it protects what you type because it's a KeyScrambler. That will keep a keylogger from getting info if you ever got one. http://www.qfxsoftware.com/Download.htm

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

It is getting difficult for me to remember passwords at work and to choose new ones. The rules for changing a password are
    1. must be 8 to 15 characters
    2. must contain at least one uppercase letter
    3. must be different from any of your last 13 passwords
    4. new password must differ from the last one by at least 3 characters
    :confused:

6. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear Frank4D,
    Roboform needs a "master password" which you can change once in 2-4 days! One more tip, if you plan to write the master password down---->do it in reverse ;)(don't come heavy on me if somebody's cleverer!)! The whole game is being"one step ahead of the pack",is'nt it?

This is for all folks ,including those who like me and my posts,phantom for one?

Never use a password that makes ANY sense at all in the remotest ( as said before,this is one time you can throw the dictionary away!)! So,let it be random and let your imagination take "WINGS",(including all the warnings and suggestions mentioned before in this thread).This logically leads me to the question--> WHICH IS THE BIRD THAT CAN FLY AT THE HIGHEST ALTITUDES? To save time and effort for you, i Googled and the research paid off. Please,please read this article which really blew me away and i can reassure you that the "read"is "adrenalizing" to say the least:eek:(y)(y)! http://www.audubonmagazine.org/birds/birds0011.html . No wonder,some people "live life on the edge"!;) Have a nice weekend!

7. hewee

hewee

"One more tip, if you plan to write the master password down---->do it in reverse"

Good tip there.

I have a really long password on my router that I could never remember. I used the Perfect Passwords that was 63 ASCII characters long. Even one that long was to long because the router would only let you use more then 37 characters so I had to made it shorter.
    I then took parts of it and changed it so I have parts I know. (May help if you get hacked because you know parts of that password even if you can not remember the rest) So if that part is mess and you can not long in then you know someone changed it.

:p

8. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear hewee,
    Blonds and brains!:D

I have changed ALL the passwords in use into 8 to 10 mumbo-jumbos! Like in Harry Potter' s first flick"sorcerer's stone", one boy(Nevil Longbottom) gets a "rememberall"(which only tells that he has forgotten something)from his grandma. He exclaims"i don't remember what i have forgotten"with an Irish tilt! So,once Roboform is filled with these crazy(lower case+uppercase letters(2+3) with a symbol or two in between and rounding off with something MORE BIZARRE LIKE "dB)(>>=cRz" ,:eek::D it will do its job. Have you read that article i mentioned on high-fliers, dear hewee?

Attached Files:

9. hewee

hewee

perfume,

Good to hear perfume. Also don't forget the password go to things from login to the computer to programs to web sites etc.

You know there was a post to a site that showed a easy way to break down words that are of things you remember easy and then add the other characters in there so you could have some type of say all cut up that others would not know that is a long saying but you know how read it.

Password Generator to create good, secure passwords ....

Here are some from a search

Geek to Live: Choose (and remember) great passwords

Tips to help users remember their password

How To Create A Strong Password You Can Remember

How to Create a Password You Can Remember

How to Choose a Secure and Hack-Proof Email Password

One other thing is to many use the same password more then one place or only one password.
    So if someone gets your password from one place then they will be able to get to all other places.
    With all these site that many go to now days it would very easy to get to the other places and then the hacker could change the login and account info and lock you out.

10. tomdkat

tomdkat Retired Trusted Advisor

I just found this Password Strength Checker site, which analyzes the strength of the entered password on a character by character basis. Points are added and deducted based on the criteria posted on the site.

neat. :)

Peace...

11. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear tomdkat,
    It's a mean meter:)! Thank you! Of the Sixteen passwords i have scrambled and fried, only five were eaten(passed), and the rest, my pug(Spooky) wouldn't even come near to sniff, let alone eat!:D(y)

PS:Spooky is a Blue-blooded Royal (Pug)dog, whereas my cousin's Labrador(Ralph), licked the plate clean!;)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914031

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice