1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Understanding photo sizes

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by theresals59, Sep 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theresals59

theresals59 Thread Starter

Hello,
    I am trying to understand the photo sizing with digital images and why photos don't print as 4 X 6. I have the printer properties set to 4 X 6 borderless and there is always a border. How do you get true borderless printing? I have an HP 7150 printer. I have a Canon s230 camera set for high resolution images. Any help or direction to an appropriate resource would be appreciated. Thanks,

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    whats the software you are using.
    theres an excellent series of article on resolution and printsize and scanning etc - can see to find it rught now - i'll post in asap

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Part of your problem may be that, unless you edit the pictures, photos taken by a digital camera normally have a different aspect ratio (4:3 as opposed to 3:2)

6. Delandra

Delandra

I also have a photosmart 7150 printer and have never had problems with the borderless printing. I agree with DaveBurnett, I think it's likely that your photo is out of proportion for 4x6 print size.

7. theresals59

Thanks for the help. How can I correct the proportion? Is there a way to change this setting on the camera or is it done with editing after the fact? Any help on how to do either or both is appreciated! Thanks again

8. buck52

buck52 Banned

9. Delandra

Delandra

What image editing software do you have available?

10. theresals59

I usually use Paint Shop, but I have access to a limited version of Photo Shop as well. Thanks,
    Theresa

11. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    so you should be able to crop to the ratio you need from those - also try this freeware program
    www.irfanview.com

12. Delandra

Delandra

Either of those programs should work for you. If you're not familiar with photoshop, he's a quick tutorial in cropping images:

http://www.dwphotoshop.com/photoshop/crop.php

First go up to "image" and then "image size" and set the longest side to 6 inches. This will make the other dimension 4.5, assuming you are working with a 4:3 aspect ratio. Then trim the image down to 4 inches using the cropping instructions on the above site.

If you don't mind your photo being streched/squished out of shape a little, you can also just go to "image size" and enter 4 by 6 inches. You may have to uncheck the "maintain proportions" box at the bottom of the window.

Good luck! :D

13. buck52

buck52 Banned

If your "limited" version of Photoshop has a crop tool use it instead of the marquee tool...

open your image then click the crop tool...make your settings in the toolbar that accompanies the crop tool...then just click and drag on the image...

buck

Attached Files:

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275906

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice