Understanding Wireless Bandwidth

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

quantass

I've been reading wireless and bandwidth and am still confused on how having more bandwidth (ie. 200khz vs 200mhz) provides me with more data capacity. Can you please explain this for me?

(I've been reading wireless and bandwidth and am still confused on how having more bandwidth (ie. 200khz vs 200mhz) provides me with more data capacity. Can you please explain this for me?)

I am not to sure what you mean by data capacity. Do you mean the capacity of storage? (I don't think this is what you mean) Or do you think that capacity means data transfer rates. (More likely) What ever the case please clarify this matter and I will gladly help you out in this matter. I have set up several wireless networks and have a bit of research in the matter and I think I can answer this question for you.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Bandwidth and data capacity aren't directly related. More "bandwidth" provides a bigger hose for the data coming/going to the machine, but does nothing for data capacity on either end.

quantass said:
I've been reading wireless and bandwidth and am still confused on how having more bandwidth (ie. 200khz vs 200mhz) provides me with more data capacity. Can you please explain this for me?
Are you asking why you can get a higher data rate for a given frequency? Ie. Difference between using 900mhz, 2.4ghz, 5.8ghz, 60ghz?

The generic answer is it is due to wavelength and timing (a waves 'period'). Given the same time period a higher frequency will complete more cycles.

A 2.4ghz system will complete 2,400,000,000+- cycles per second and has a wavelength of 4.8".

A 5.8ghz system will complete 5,800,000,000+- cycles per second and has a wavelength of 2".

As far as how much data can be sent by each frequency, that is more dependant on the type of modulation being used.

I do know that they are pushing 1+Gb/s using 60ghz equipment and that there are already 60ghz equipment available to the market that does 600Mb/s.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online