Solved Undiagnosed Hardware Issue?

Trustingchaos

I have an interesting issue I cannot seem to diagnose. I am experiencing random stuttering in all aspects of my PC randomly. This causes audio to lag and make matrix noises, games to do the same and freeze repetitively for 1/4 a second at a time and even causes my mouse to freeze and skip as I'm moving it.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20200917204049.000000-300
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 23 Model 8 Stepping 2, CPU Count: 16
Total Physical RAM: 16 GB
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
Hard Drives: C: 222 GB (181 GB Free); D: 1863 GB (1559 GB Free);
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. AX370M-DS3H-CF, ver x.x, s/n Default string
System: American Megatrends Inc., ver ALASKA - 1072009, s/n Default string
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled - Using Bitdefender
Running Windows OS off the SSD
PC is about 1 year, 5 months old and was purchased as is new, not built.

I've already tried...
Reinstalling every known driver I could think of. Graphics, network, audio etc...
Tried error checking my SSD and HDD and came back with no errors
Ran anti virus software - no luck
Tried windows updates - no luck
Ran Prime95 to stress test - Passed
Took my PC apart and cleaned out the dust (It wasn't very dirty to begin with as I tend to keep it pretty clean)
Watched Task manager LIKE A HAWK to see if anything spiked. Nothing ever did. Everything was low or very low usage and CPU/Memory never went above 30% usage
Rage Quit and did a complete fresh install of windows. The error did not come back at first but did about 5 hours into using the PC afterwards.
Also checked temperatures and they have been nominal. My PC is water cooled.

The issue seems to have evolved as well. When I boot up, its present immediately. Seemingly once the PC has a few minutes to get going the issue tends to go away. I tried just playing music and ran a timer to see how long it would take to return and I got to about an hour and a half before it came back doing NOTHING on the PC other than playing music from YouTube Music and watching task manager. If I try to play a game, I can get about 5 minutes in and the error quickly comes back and makes gaming unbearable. Basic use is...ok, but I didn't buy this PC for basic use. I also could not replicate the issue in safe mode as I assume because I could not stress the PC enough. I'm at my wits end here. Has anyone else run into a similar situation? I'm assuming hardware at this point but hoping I'm just missing something.

crjdriver

If your hard drives are spin drives, run the drive mfg's diagnostic on the drives; run both the short and long tests. You download this utility from whomever mfg the drive ie WD, Seagate, etc.
Next go to the support page for your board;
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AX370M-DS3H-rev-1x/sp#sp
Download and install both app center and system info viewer. Once installed, post the following info from SIV; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values. Post this twice. Once under a normal load and again while running a stress test ie prime95, OCCT, or Realbench. Let the stress test run for at least two min to stabilize temps/voltages.

Post screenshots of system info viewer rather than posting the numbers.

Last edited:

Trustingchaos

Hey crj thank you for the response!

I have 1 spin drive from Seagate and downloaded SeaTools to test. This drive only holds my games on it, no OS files. I completed both the fast and long tests.

Short Test - Passed, No Issues
Long Test - Passed, No Issues

To be thorough I downloaded the Western Digital SSD Tool to check my SSD and ran both short and long tests on as well.

Short Test - Passed, No Issues
Long Test - Passed, No Issues

I've attached the screenshots from SIV as requested. I ran Prime95 for 15 minutes prior to screenshot. Let me know if I missed anything.

Attachments

crjdriver

No. You either need to enter the bios to see what version OR download cpuid. CPUID will also show what bios version is in use under the motherboard tab.

Trustingchaos

I WAS running...

American Megatrends Inc.
F24 - AMD AGESA 1.0.0.6
12/26/2018

I brought it up to...

American Megatrends Inc.
F31 - AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 0.0.7.2
05/06/2019

Based on manufacturer recommendations for update. There is still a much newer version (F50d 07/02/2020) but so far the error has not been present since the F31 update. I'll continue to test as it didn't come back for about 5 hours after my first full reset.

I never even thought about the BIOS being a potential cause

crjdriver

With gigabyte boards, when there is a letter after the bios number ie F50a or similar, that is a beta bios. I never recommend using a beta bios unless it has a specific fix you need.

Run it for a while and see how it works. The later bios are generally optimized for the later processors ie the 3xxx series OR even the just released XT series.

Trustingchaos

I'll keep up the testing to let you know. For my knowledge, however, what would cause the BIOS to be the problem if nothing has changed within the PC other than the obvious windows and driver updates?

I really appreciate all your help thus far! Wanted to make sure I said that again.

Trustingchaos

Ran games for several hours last night after the BIOS update and have been playing/working today with 0 issues. Seems to have just been an outdated BIOS issue. Something I never thought as being the culprit so I thank you very much crj! Saved me time and money there for sure as I was about to cave and buy new hardware. Thanks again!

Sent a donation to the site. Keep up the good work guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online