Undo Formatted Hard Drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

helpharddrive

I accidentally formatted my external hard drive when I plugged it into my laptop and Windows automatically formatted it. Everything seems to be lost and I really hope to get all of my files back. Is there any free software I can use to get it back? Is there anything I can do?

1002richards

Retired Trusted Advisor
Hi and welcome,
Firstly stop using that hard drive in case anything left there gets overwritten even more. Chances of recovery after a format are very slim. Recuva is a free prog often recommended here: http://www.piriform.com/recuva

You'll need to recover any docs etc to a different drive - probably your laptop.

Hope this helps.

Richard

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
You might get away with using TESTDISK and the "unformat" option.
No guarantee though.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online