1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unexpected gray and blue screen-

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ConsumingHatred, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ConsumingHatred

ConsumingHatred Thread Starter

Hello everyone, first off, thank you for your time and patience.

Now, to summarize: When I run my computer on battery, it randomly decides to "freeze" and show a completely blue or gray screen.

No error messages, no warnings, no interval, no specific programs, it simply happens.

It happened last night as I worked on an assignment for college and, luckily, I was able to "bypass" the problem by putting my computer on standby (I just have to physically hit the Power button to put it on standby) and so I turn it back on, from standby, and everything seems to work perfectly. Unfortunately the problem happened again, actually, it's happened twice tonight. So everything is not perfect as I had hoped it would be.

ANyone have any thoughts on this? -- It's a really weird problem.

Ps: This blue screen IS NOT the windows error blue screen which is common to Windows crashing. It is a different shade of blue and it shows NO error messages whatsoever. No memory dump, no fatal error, nothing. It's as if I had "painted" over my desktop blue or gray.

Thank you for your time and paitence. ANy help and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. 00trav

00trav

Does this happen while you are actively using your computer or when it is idle for 5+ minutes?

What computer do you have? manufacturer and model

have you tried disabling any powersaving features? (ie if you have an itel based PC, sometime they have a laptop mode, presentation mode, AC mode, etc.)

3. ConsumingHatred

ConsumingHatred Thread Starter

This happens when I'm actively using my computer. (When the screen turns gray or blue it's not responsive. All I can do is hit the physical on button to put it on standby or shut it off by holding it down)

I have an Hewlett Packard Pavilion DV2225la - Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit

You can see my other specs by hitting the little computer icon next to my avatar on the post.

I have not tried disabling the powersaving features. Although it was never ever a problem before when I worked on my computer.

4. 00trav

00trav

if it indeed only happens on battery power, then I would think it has something to do with the windows powersaving features or with the battery itself. A quick way to test whether its hardware related would be to boot up off a linux live cd (ie ubuntu, or similar). boot off AC, then switch to battery mode, use it for an hour and see if anything happens. Once you narrow it down to either software or hardware then you can proceed further.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/732647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice