Unexpected network error occurred

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Alex Ethridge

Dell Latitude D520 running Windows XP Pro and all updates and service packs and 1 Gig of RAM. The wired network on this system works fine for internet and LAN shares. The wireless works fine for internet only. The D520 can access all shares on all other computers on the network; but no other computer can access the D520 when it is wireless. If I Search for the D520 from any other computer, it is always found but inaccessible.

I get the following error:
\\D520 is not accessible
An unexpected network error has occurred.
Running Windows XP Pro on all systems except one which is Windows 2000 Pro.

Permissions on the D520 are set to full control for Everyone and Administrators. I am logged in on all systems with the same name and password. I even installed NetBEUI in desperation; but, there was no change. No third-party firewalls are installed and all Windows firewalls on all systems is turned off. ESET NOD32 Antivirus is installed on all systems; but, it is temporarily disabled.

To be clear, the wired network is okay; it is the wireless that is giving the problem.

I have been through the network checklist as follows:
- PCs which are not XP must have TCP/IP installed.
- Each PC must have a unique computer name.
- Each PC must have a network share defined.
- ALL NICS must be on the same subnet (e.g. IP 192.168.0.* subnet mask 255.255.255.0).
- XP PCs must have Netbios over TCP/IP enabled (only essential for XP to talk to W9X PCs).
- MS Client and file & printer sharing must be enabled on each machine.
- All NICs must have their node type = anything except p-node (peer to peer, or point-point).
* To check, open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL.
- XP's ICF firewall is permanently disabled. (Only necessary for pre XP SP2).
- All 3rd party firewalls are disabled, uninstalled and deleted (until connection is working).
- PCs have the same workgroup (helps, but not essential for XP/2K, necessary for 9X/ME).

Allow 15 mins after rebooting a PC for that PC to appear in the workgroup, or for it to see all other PCs. Or you can search for the PC by its computer name.

Additional things to check if you still have problems:

- Check your Services are Started on all PCs: Workstation, Server, TCP/IP Netbios helper, Computer Browser.
- XP gives access to its shares via the Net Guest Account. (Note, not the same as the local guest account in user accounts which should be off). Net Guest Account is enabled by default in XP, but to check it, open a command prompt and type: NET USER GUEST
Should return a line with 'Account active yes'.
I'm stumped.

Alex,
I would take a look at the wireless router. Is there a firewall on the wireless side of the router?
Can you put any other networked computer on the wireless and access it's shares?

Alex Ethridge

I set up one of the desktops on wireless and disconnected its wire. I get the following when attempting to connect to D520 (the other wireless):
\\D520 is not accessible. You might not have permission . . . etc. Contact your Administrator. The network path was not found.
I get essentially the same message also when attempting to access the other wireless that I just now set up when attempting to access its resources. I can find it in a Search; but, I have no access to its resources either.

You may be onto something about the wireless router.

The router is a Netgear WGT624v3. I can find nothing in any of its pages about a firewall. I have inspected its settings and I can't see anything I would suspect of this problem.

"Enable Trend Micro Security Services" was selected; but, I deselected and Applied that setting. No change.

Alex Ethridge

I reset the router and set it up from the Smart Wizard all over again. The result is the same.

Alex,
Have you tried enabling remote desktop on the d520? Then try a remote session to it.
I would clear the log on your router and attempt to connect to the wireless d520.
Check the d520 wireless ICF logs and settings.
Also try connecting by IP address instead of Workgroup name.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Have you booted that machine in Safe Mode with Networking to see if something in Normal Mode is blocking the network requests?

Let's see this for that machine as well.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands, one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

Note that there is a space before the -n or the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the - or / in the following commands.

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

Alex Ethridge

I recently updated the firmware and set it up from scratch again. No change.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Johnwill,
Sorry, I have not abandoned this effort. There's just been a lot going on here of late. I'll get back on this ASAP. For now, I'm just connecting it via a wire until I can solve this problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online