Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unexpected restarts

784 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Rich-M 
#1 ·
Hi gang
Been having this problem for a while - been googling for the past week and havent gotten anywhere fast.

The problem - my computer unexpectedly clicks off and restarts. This seems to happen when new media is inserted, ie cd, dvd or usb flashdrive, or even occasionally when the flashdrive is removed. However, it doesnt always happen when new media goes in, just often.

I turned off the system failure - automatically restart checkbox, and recieved this blue screen error mesage:
MULTIPLE_IRP_COMPLETE_REQUESTS
STOP: 0x00000044 (0x85196998 0x00000D62 0x00000000 0x00000000)

or something to that effect.
so from what i can work out this is a driver issue - two drivers asking for something at the same time. my question is, how can i find out what specifically is causing the problem? i updated the cd drive drivers and this seemed to fix the problem a little, such that i can often insert cds without the computer turning off now, but not always.

any ideas how i can hunt down the problem? thanks for any help guys

----
edit: system info
windows xp home, sp2
celeron 2.8hz, 512mb ram
pioneer dvd-rw/cd-rw; lite-on cd-rw

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi

Have you tried updating the BIOS on your motherboard. Im presuming that the USB ports are based on the board and not an expansion slot.

In addition to this, look on the website of the motherboard manufacturer and see if there is any additional software along the lines of "System Enhancements" or "Chipset Drivers"

Thanks
Mike Bedford
MCP

#4 ·
fairly random - it hasnt happened for about a week now, but i havent been using the computer much, although i just put a dvd in and it didnt turn off.

havent tried updating bios - ive downloaded it, but... everything was working fine a month ago. if/when it happens again, i'll try that - i was kinda hoping to be able to figure out exactly what the problem is, rather than just randomly updating drivers, since it is such a sporadic event - hard to tell if its fixed or not.

#5 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.