Unexpected Shutdown.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Blitzwing

OK so my problem is this - Rather Randomly, if I shutdown my computer, when I re-boot it goes to a blue screen with tons of writing on that I never have a chance to read and then goes into repair mode. When its done it says 'Windows recovered from an unexpected shutdown'.

It doesnt show any error messages before the reboot to indicate its had some kind of problem, only when its restarted. I get the 'Check online for problems' box after its fixed itself but even if I click yes to look nothing happens.

The only problem is in that I dont know why because whenever I do shut down the PC I do the Start Menu > Shutdown procedure and the Computer then shutsdown as it should & there is no indication of a problem until its restarted.

Its been happening for the last 4 weeks on and off and apart from the Techguy SySInfo tool I havent downloaded and installed any new programs, Vista updates have been installed as and when they are available. The only new info thats come in are Patches & Fixes for SW:tor.

I used the Tech.guy SysInfo to generate this:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3326 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS, 640 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 600238 MB, Free - 385773 MB;
Motherboard: Packard Bell BV, MCP73PVT-PM
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Any help would be appriciated - I am a total beginner so if you need Info please direct me how to get it with baby steps :p

In order to keep the blue-screen up long enough for you to read (and post at least some of what it says) you need to disable the automatic restart feature:

Open Control Panel & set it to Classic View.
Double-click the icon labelled System.
In the left pane, click Advanced System Settings.
In the Startup & Recovery section, click Settings.
Where it says Automatically restart. click inside the little box to remove the tick.
Click OK to save and close the dialog box.
Click OK to close the underlying dialog box, then close the Control Panel window.

Now, next time a blue-screen even is encountered, it will stay on the screen for you to read it's contents.
Please post what you can, in particular the capitalised error message at or near the top, together with the error codes.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts