Unexpected Shutdowns

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Eleutherios

Hello!

I've been having this problem with my computer shutting down. Basically, it went like this...

A while back, I was playing a game, and it clicked off. Just shut right down, power off. This mystified me, so I went back to a game, and it shut down again. I ran a RAM test from a bootable CD, and it came back fine. Furthermore, it didn't shut down at all in the hour that it was testing -- so I thought it couldn't be the power supply, because it would have cut out during the RAM test. I thought it must have been something else...

I then got the notion to go into Safe Mode and uninstall and then reinstall my video drivers. This fixed it for about two days, and furthermore, the system didn't seem to crash during the time I was in Safe Mode (admittedly, I wasn't in there for very long, but should have been long enough to produce a crash). During these two days of bliss, I thought "Ah, the problem was my video card, the drivers must have gotten corrupted. Now it's fixed."

So earlier today, I was on the computer when it shut off, just as before. This freaked me out, and so I thought, "Ah, the problem must be my power supply." It didn't make sense, though, because the reinstalled drivers seemed to fix the issue for a little bit.

I turned it back on and it crashed during the Windows load. After that, it wouldn't turn on -- although the Power light on my motherboard was on. I managed to shut it down after a while, and then turn it back on (I wanted to enter safe mode), but the motherboard wouldn't detect my primary HDD.

I rebooted, and it didn't detect anything. It was very odd... just to put it in perspective, this is a Phoenix AwardBIOS. It read something like

IDE 0 MASTER: (should have said CD ROM drive) M A
IDE 0 SLAVE: NONE

IDE 1 MASTER: MAX

Then it "scrolled down" four lines. I've never seen it done that before.

Subsequent boots show just something called "M A" on IDE 0 MASTER and nothing on all other IDE channels. I can't get into the BIOS setup and it just hangs on that screen.

I've tried resetting the CMOS, but it doesn't work.

I don't think it's heat damage due to the cooling I have and that it has these problems going from a cool state.

For reference, here's some stuff:

Hardware
---
Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz w/Fan
2 Intake Fans (Side, Front)
2 Exhaust Fans (Back)
ATI Radeon 9600 256MB w/Omega Drivers
DFI Infinity Motherboard
200GB Maxtor HDD on IDE 1 MASTER
80GB Maxtor HDD on IDE 1 SLAVE
2 CD-RW drives on IDE 0 MASTER and IDE 0 SLAVE

Thanks! Any help or advice is appreciated.

Just want to clarify that you mispoke yourself...your HD's are really on IDE0 not IDE1. IDE0 is the Primary controller, and is where your C: drive is set as the MASTER.

Since the Drives are not being detected at startup, and hopefully you have not changed the configuration, jumpers, etc, then perhaps you should just try to reseat the plugs/connectors on the drives, and see if that helps.

Also what is preventing you from entering into BIOS setup???

Eleutherios

Ah, thanks. I was trying to reproduce the screen output by memory.

I tried plugging the drives back in, if that's what you meant. What's preventing me from going to the BIOS setup is simply that it won't let me. I would hit the DEL key to get there, but it provides nothing and just "hangs".

Domer_und

The randomness of this issue seems to point to PSU problem....Have you tried another known working PSU and see if the problem is repeated....

Domer

Are you hanging at the IDE Detection point of the bootup, or somewhere else??? What is the last line on the screen when it hangs?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online