1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unexpected Shutdown's

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Begohan2, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Begohan2

Begohan2 Thread Starter

Ok, I have a different computer, and when I go on it for about 15 minutes (tops) it just shuts down, with no warning at all.

It is a Windows XP Home Edition SP1. Please help, I have thousands of songs and my father has very important files on that computer. :mad:

2. Minmaster

Minmaster

Does it seem like the fan is working? Maybe it's overheating...when that happens your computer will shut down...
    First off, check your Events viewer...what does it say?

3. tjamnz

tjamnz

get a cd-rw (hopefully you have one on-board) or dvd burner and copy all of the music and your important files at once. You should be able to make a disk or two before it shuts down. (then repeat process)

Do you get any error messages at all when you boot or before it crashes?

How old is the pc.

Sounds like a power supply issue or definitley another harware issue.
    Power supply issues are know to cause random shutdowns.

Do you hear any beeps when your computer starts and if so... how many (please describe in detail).

thks

4. tjamnz

tjamnz

Many things can make a computer turn off randomly.
    1) After a certain set time a pc may go into hybernation mode . Sometimes, not all computers can wake up from a hybernating state. For now set the hybernation option to never.
    2) Improper ventilation: The computer is put in a tight spot which doesnt allow it to breath. general overheating.
    3) Overloading the CPU. The CPU can become overstressed from playing certain games.
    4)the cpu cooler/the fan for the CPU. After a while it can begin to fail, Not even the best technicians can detect that because it will stop and restart at will.
    5) Somone tweaked your cpu settings that are causing the problem (very unlikey though i suppose)
    6) BIOS virus, very rare >> flash your BIOS and make sure you BIOS has it's write protection mode on

Other than that... the only solution is most likely going to be:

new motherboard, power supply, or a new cpu

Also one last thing: ESD damage to a motherboard/sys board, can cause other hardware to look like they are the culprit(s).

It seems like most of these types of issues are power supply related in my experience.

5. Begohan2

Begohan2 Thread Starter

Tjamnz,

The pc is from 2001, it beeps once, and no error messages whatsoever.

Thanks alot.

6. incharge

incharge

Wow. I have the same problem. It shuts down all by itself. Then, there's a little "electricity odor" that you smell...

7. Begohan2

Begohan2 Thread Starter

Incharge, I phoned an internet help line, and it said that it is caused by a faulty motherboard, he said that his wifes computer would shut down, and that they smelt smoke coming from the motherboard, one of the processors melted itself right off!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/374010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice