1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Unexpected shutdowns

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jrob, Jan 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jrob

Jrob Thread Starter

Hello

Should this be in Windows Forums??

My computer (details below) started to shut itself down unexpectedly. At first I thought it was overheating, but it persisted in crashing and wouldn't reboot unless I isolated it from the power supply. The periods between bootups and crashes went from 45 minutes down to a few minutes. I decided to do a reformat of my hard drive. After I had re-installed Windows 98, I shut down and went to bed.

The next day, I noticed on the bootup screen that my processor speed had reduced from a 600 MHZ Via Cyrix III to a Via Samuel MMX 400MHZ. Why did this happen. Is it an example of the manufacturer overclocking? Or is there some other reason why the speed reduced and the processor changed?

Additionally, the time between bootup and crash is now anything from between a few minutes down to a few seconds. Sometimes it doesn't get as far as loading Windows. Every diagnostic program I ran before my problem showed that my computer was pretty crap compared to others. So another question is: has anyone else (particularly UK) had similar problems with a similar computer to mine?

OEM Computer
    Quantum Microponents Ltd
    CentaurHauls x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 0
    Windows 98 (4.10. Build, 2222) A
    Via Samuel MMX 3DNow 400MHZ
    56MB RAM
    File System 32bit
    Virtual Memory 32bit
    Generic IDE Disk type 47

I don't know if all this is relevant information.

Kind Regards

John

2. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:D Jrob,

This sounds like a power supply going bad. It could also possibly be the CMOS battery dying. I would try a new power supply first.

KW1

3. Jrob

Jrob Thread Starter

Hello kilowatt1

Thanks for the reply. Will investigate your suggestions.

Kind Regards

John

4. Jrob

Jrob Thread Starter

Hello kilowatt1

Sorry for the 3 week delay. But to tidy this up: you were right. It was the power supply. I sent it for repair and have just received it back with a note saying they had replaced the PSU (3 weeks for a PSU!!). Everything seems OK now. Famous last words......

Thanks for your original reply.

Kind Regards

John

5. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:D Glad to see you back in business Jrob. Three weeks for a power supply! Maybe the repair shop had to order one fron Enron.:D :D

Take care.

KW1

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65631

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice