1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jamster727, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jamster727

jamster727 Thread Starter

Hello! I am at wits end here with my computer and at this point would just upgrade to a new CPU/Mobo and PSU. I have been having blue screens for over a year and my i5 was overclocked to 4.2ghz for 3 years so maybe thats why its all wrong. My computer will not make it to the windows screen if I have to reset my bios via turning off the power switch too fast. It will only boot if I change the CPU settings such as the cpu vcore and other voltages, if I dont change these settings it will NOT boot on stock settings which makes zero sense. sometimes it crashes in a few days and sometimes 2 times a day, Its frustrating. I have deleted so many programs, removed unnecessary drivers, tried one stick of ram one by one, removed the GPU, removed other drives besides my SSD (OS) and have done memory tests. I have ran multiple virus scans via hitmanpro, malwayrebytes, windows defender with no success, I think my physical USB ports are failing as sometimes I have to replug in my audio interface as it makes my speakers distorted and on my old interface it only worked well in one usb port. Anyhow I will attach my minidump file as who crashed didnt really help me. This is the only time where I have had to ask for any help with computer issues in my 15+ years of using computers. I am lost and angry.

Minidump from today
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TPE7B7TkYsCLqpOXAgYzq1pqAyIw4h1U

another one 2 hours later
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NBi1i0ertu9PUzczmgHd_P7ijO8klpfc

Whocrashed log from a few weeks ago
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1rMrSYZL-nW8YbHZr4qWU_Qi3BlkCeLzU

ANY HELP IS HIGHLY APPRECIATED

SPECS
    CPU-i5 4670k at stock clock 3.8ghz
    MOBO-GA-Z87X-UD4H
    RAM-Kingston PC3 12800) 240-Pin SDRAM KHX1600C9D3K2/8GX (16gb) (bought the 8gb kit at first but needed another 8gb so I bought the same ram again for 16gb.
    PSU- Corsair HX750
    GPU-980TI
    OS-windows 10
    2TB WD BLACK
    500gb WD Blue
    128gb crucial m4 (OS)

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
  2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

1. When you say you have removed the GP do you mean - you then connected to the integrated Intel HD4600 graphics on the I/O plate
    If not please try that

2. The dumps on Google indicate
    A. A hardware issue which has caused a page fault - this is the most likely I think
    B. As above but the main issue although again a Page fault appears to be the 980. MAY possibly be a driver issue

3. Have YOU renamed your router/modem or other hardware connected with the Wireless Internet connection to
    FBI Surveillance Van 015

Obviously it is not FBI surveillance as they do not I would think advertise such.
    The reason I ask is that if you have NOT, then the situation as to how to proceed changes

4. What memory tests have you run please

5. Does the same problem occur in Safe Mode or in Clean boot mode

6. Test in both modes without the
    FocusriteUSBSwRoot FocusriteUSBSwRoot.sys
    connected

7. If you decide to accept my attempt to help please send any other dumps as ZIP files attached here and not on external links

3. jamster727

Thank you for your reply!

1). Yes sorry I meant I used the onboard HD4600 graphics to see if it would boot and it wouldnt. It seems like I have multiple issues with my PC

2). I definitely didn't have as many crashes with my AMD 7970 GPU before I got the 980 ti in february.
    I have also updated my drivers for the GPU to the most recent version.

3)I have a wireless USB adapter (netgear A6210) which once was connected to my friends router "FBI surveillance" since mine was NSA at the time, we're not the most mature I guess and I no longer have internet besides my hotspot because they don't offer internet this far out in the country.

4). I have only done the windows memory diagnostic tool (like 2 times) It's not as extensive as memtest so maybe I should try memtest over night however my PC will likely crash by then.

5). I have not tried in safe mode or clean boot mode and it wouldnt let me do any of that when my BIOS settings are at default

6). The focusrite drivers are for my sound interface, its a focusrite scarlett 2i2 and it powers my headphones and JBL 305 speakers. I do need these drivers or I wont have sound and I use FL studio 12 to make music and I spend a lot of time in that program

I wasnt sure how to upload a file so I did the external like but I see it now, sorry about that. I was pretty tired when I wrote this message. Im gonna try a few things you suggested such as memtest and uninstalling nvidia drivers then reinstalling. I had 8gb of the ram I have now and then bought another 8gb this february as well because I found the same exact pair/model for cheap and who doesnt want 16gb of ram right? The crashes really didnt happen until I got the 980ti and new ram. I will report back when I have tried some of your solutions

4. Macboatmaster

1. Windows memory diagnostic is OK but not as good as memtest
    Run one complete PASS that is 10 or 11 tests on your ram with all four sticks in place
    IF that completes with no errors then you do not need to test individually - usually
    IF errors are shown run ONE complete pass on EACH stick until and if you get errors.
    So on this example the PASS is at 40% and the Test is at 64% (Test 3)
    memtest_test.png

Memtest download to make usb/CD
    https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

2. Re Focusrite I am not suggesting youy stop using it I am simply saying disconnect it for testing purposes

3. The computer should NOT crash on memtest unless it is a hardware fault

4. I have never heard of a firmware setting that stopped a Safe Mode boot or a clean boot.
    I recommend you try Clean boot BEFORE memtest as that - clean boot is quick
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

5. I am not sure what you mean by this
    DO YOU MEAN it would not even post or do you mean it would not proceed to Windows
    Did you enable integrated graphics in setup

6. Troubleshooting without exact information is VERY difficult
    You say
    but then you say later
    so which is it please - not as many crashes or NO crashes until you changed the GPU and added ram

5. jamster727

Once again Im sorry for not being clear enough.

Im doing memtest after I post this.

2). Okay I can live without sound for a little bit anyways and am going to run safe mode all night tonight to see if it crashes.

3). Im sorry I just meant when I had my BIOS settings at default it wouldnt let me boot into safe mode, I just tried and CAN get into safe mode fine.

5) I also meant when I had default BIOS settings that even removing my 980ti I still couldnt get to windows login, I dont think that's normal for a bios.
    My integrated graphics always work without the 980ti unless the BIOS settings are at default settings and wont allow me to get to windows login

6). The crashes did happen before I got the 980ti but only when I had default bios settings, Pretty much they DIDNT happen at all until I got the 980ti and the other 8gb of ram. I know this might be confusing but crashing wasn't really a concern before the 980ti and ram upgrade. Now I get crashes everyday it seems, clearly the GPU caused some instability like you said. I bought the 980ti used on ebay, could've been why it was being sold in the first place. I also got the ram within a week of the 980ti so it could be the ram.

If I change one of the 3 settings " CPU vcore, DRAM voltage and PCH core just by a little it will either crash frequently or less frequently. Unfortunately I am guessing on what to change these settings to as the default bios is corrupt or something and gives me instant blue screens if I try to reset the bios settings. I might have to mess with these settings some more to find the sweet spot. At this point I'm starting to suspect a bios or ram issue. will report back with memtest, not sure how long that takes.

6. Macboatmaster

1. To ensure we are both singing the same song
    The integrated graphics will NOT work on default settings be it default or default optimized UNLESS you enable integrated graphics in the BIOS
    The default is enabled, but when a GPU is inserted the default is then display from the GPU
    Usually uninstalling the 980 would then at the next power on set the display as the integrated graphics

and
    2. It is confusing to me when I read
    Please explain what this means
    Reset BIOS - UEFI firmware - turning off power switch too fast

7. jamster727

"Please explain what this means
    Reset BIOS - UEFI firmware - turning off power switch too fast"

My bios will go to default settings if I turn my computer off via killswitch on the back of the power supply and sometimes if I press the power button too many times trying to turn it off or on it will cause the bios settings to reset. I believe this is actually a feature more than a bug. It resets all my BIOS settings for the CPU vcore, DRAM voltage and PCH core, over clock settings and whatever else is in there to the default ones.

I ran memtest, 3 hours and 46 minutes later it passed everything with 0 errors. I'm thinking it's my bios settings, USB ports, power supply failure or the GPU drivers, maybe even the focusrite audio drivers. Sometimes when I launch my music program (FL studio) it will crash instantly which makes me think it's related to the audio driver. I dont see how you do this so often.. you've been here for over 8 years and have helped countless people. I hope you're getting paid or something. Just saying I appreciate your patience and I hope you can deal with my sometimes poor explanations. I'm going to run it in safe mode overnight. My onboard graphics are set to enabled and I never unplug anything when it's turned on besides USB devices, I really havent used the onboard graphics much. If it crashes in safe mode tonight then I will try it without the 980ti until it crashes or a week goes by.

8. Macboatmaster

Why would you do that please turn off the system using the PSU switch

If windows is running you will most certainly have problems
    If Windows is updating you will have serious problems
    If data is being written to the drive you will have problems

In short unless I am misunderstanding what you are doing a most unsatisfactory way to turn off the computer.

IF THE CMOS battery is flat and you turn off the computer this way then that indeed MAY well account for the BIOS settings going back to default.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  9. Macboatmaster

Wondered how you were doing

10. jamster727

Well I'm good sorry for the delay, I've been busy. It actually turns out that the new ram I bought was faulty that or the other 2 extra dim slots are bad on the MOBO. Either way I'm back to 8gb of ram and haven't crashed since I got rid of the other 2 sticks I'm glad they are labeled by when they were made or I wouldn't be able to tell which ones were the new sticks. I did try using 16gb last night and it crashed. At least I can run my PC without issues even though I wasted money on extra ram I cant use. I will be building a new build by the end of the summer anyhow. (New i5 or i7 (LGA 1151, new mobo, DDR4 and maybe swap out the 980ti for a 1080ti, thought the 980ti kills everything on ultra 1080p, I will probably join the 1440p (144z) club as long as it's IPS . I might wait. Thank you again and I only used the switch when it was booting, I can be very impatient at times. Take care man!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  11. Macboatmaster

Pleased it was sorted

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1211697

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice